What's new

Evening hunt with Mirage-nice Merc, buckle

Danimal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
165
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I met Bob (Mirage) after work and took him to the area where I have been doing my lunchtime hunt since last Summer. After we covered the brushy area we wandered back into the older woods where I have found some much older stuff, including a 1700s colonial coin, silver thimble, pewter utensils, and other nice do-dads.
I found a 1940 Merc in the newer woods and could tell even with the mud caked on that it was badly tarnished but it was silver and I wuz happy!
Back in the older area I dug a buckle that was VERY deep and under old tree roots. Doesn't appear to be any markings on it at all :(
Also found part of an old pocketknife, an old broach with what is probably fake pearls and diamonds and a couple fired musketballs.
Earlier in the day at lunch I found the Palmolive advertising token (1920s) and the silver plated chain link. Probably from a decorative horse harness, as I have found MANY silver plated harness buckles in the same area.Since it's not a key date I polished the Merc...and was thrilled to see that this baby was nearly uncirculated!...more sharp detail than almost any Merc I have ever dug! Sharp, defined sep. bands on the reverse.

totals
3-21hunt 001.webp
cleaned
3-21hunt 002.webp
closeup of Merc's obverse
3-21hunt 006.webp
reverse
3-21hunt 005.webp
Pamolive token obverse
3-211.webp
old broach
3-21hunt 007.webp

HH all!
 
Upvote 0
Danimal said:
doyboy said:
I actually like the "blackened" look on Winged Liberty Head dimes. Yours looks like a reflector now. Big D, now you can use it as a reflector on your mountain bike. :D

Actually "little d", those shiny silver things are called mirrors, not reflectors. Reflectors are usually red, sometimes yellow. Thank you for again letting myself and everyone here who is interested, know what it is that you "like".
Your comments are a death knell to any thread.

Mountain bikes have reflectors in their spokes, not mirrors.
 
Still Look's Mint Danimal......Nice Clean Up!!!
 
The buckle looks like a friction harness buckle... lots of the ones in the relic books have hearts on them...

Hm... and angry thread.... I hear the best way to clean them is to wash them down with a beer and let the old digestive tract do it's magic!!! It is the second recovery of the coin in that case that stinks!!

..and I'm only kidding!! clean... don't clean... polish.. don't polish... it's your coin when you pop it out of the ground....
 
great finds !! i gotta try that on a coin .. looks awesome !! ;D ;D
 
bscofield6 said:
Danimal said:
bscofield6 said:
I guess someone made you edit your initial response....

But I think you would cry if I wasn't here.

No...no one "made" me edit it. I decided to edit it myself. I think enough people here are aware of my distaste for your arrogance without me having to continually say so.
Look, as long as you have doy giving you support, why care about what anyone else thinks? ;)

You may not be #1 on this forum, but you are definitely #1 in my heart!

Dan,
I'm not sure if it's arrogance, ignorance, or jealousy with Dr. Evil & Mini Me?

Brian,
I believe it was you last week that stated that if people didn't like your posts, then they shouldn't read them. Well, here you are with nothing but negative comments again on someone else's post. Maybe the slamming of other clad finds last week wasn't enough for you?

Kirk,
I just pulled up your last post from about a week ago. Here it is:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,74709.0.html
Now I don't see any negative comments in here from Dan on your find. Do you?

Again, if this TN site was all about you two clowns & YOUR finds, it would be one boring site.
As far as who's #1 on this site. I would like to cast my vote for Ole. Grubstake. He finds fantastic stuff, and is a real gentleman with his posts. Maybe you should follow his lead?

Dan,
I thought I'd try out your cleaning technique on my King George V coin. Turns out it was the wrong George on the coin afterall. Here are before & after pictures. ;D
Keep up the great posts, and don't let the good Doctor and his sidekick bother you. We all thought we were hot sh-t when we were young.
If I ever find a Merc, I'm going to polish the hell out of it! ;D Great looking coin.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • minime.webp
    minime.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 317
  • coin.webp
    coin.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 314
  • pinocchio-bush.webp
    pinocchio-bush.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 315
ModernMiner, I am sorry for being such an indecorous dude! Dan the Man knows that I am joking with him. It is all for fun.

By the way, MM, I let my finds speak for theyselves! :D
 
doyboy said:
ModernMiner, I am sorry for being such an indecorous dude! Dan the Man knows that I am joking with him. It is all for fun.

By the way, MM, I let my finds speak for theyselves! :D

Thanks Kirk.
You do find some great stuff. No one doubts that. I hope you find a lot more too.
-MM-
 
I love what you did to the merc i would of done the same look at what i did to this barber dime in AU its worth $75..But i polished it up and now its priceless..Nice find
 

Attachments

  • Picture 039.webp
    Picture 039.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 276
NORTHEAST HUNTER said:
I love what you did to the merc i would of done the same look at what i did to this barber dime in AU its worth $75..But i polished it up and now its priceless..Nice find

I had too much money to fit into my wallet the other day... so I did the only logical thing...

adBurningMoney.gif
 
I don't do this for profit i do it because i love the search and recover.Money means nothing.I bet that merc looks great in a display box
 
Just looking over the merc's being sold on eBay. Theres over a hundred of them and only a couple are "dirty" looking. Of the others, I'd guess at least 80% have been cleaned.

I really don't know why anyone would want to leave corrosion on a valuable coin, instead of removing the corrosion and coating it with either an oil, or polish, then encasing it in some sort of protective cover to prevent any further damage. It seems that dollar signs are more important than the historic value.

F.
 
Functional said:
Just looking over the merc's being sold on eBay. Theres over a hundred of them and only a couple are "dirty" looking. Of the others, I'd guess at least 80% have been cleaned.

I really don't know why anyone would want to leave corrosion on a valuable coin, instead of removing the corrosion and coating it with either an oil, or polish, then encasing it in some sort of protective cover to prevent any further damage. It seems that dollar signs are more important than the historic value.

F.

You grade that an F.... I grade that an F-
 
hey Danimal..

That is one fine looking coin...I just got a 40 today, gonna post it soon but man it does not even compare to that one...SSSWWWEEETTT....BTW your posts have been very ummmm entertaining to read lately...he he..

Nice going TnT
 
TnT2000 said:
hey Danimal..

That is one fine looking coin...I just got a 40 today, gonna post it soon but man it does not even compare to that one...SSSWWWEEETTT....BTW your posts have been very ummmm entertaining to read lately...he he..

Nice going TnT

Haha, glad someone can see past all of this and see some humor in all of this and not take it all so seriously.
 
I second that motion for Ole Grubstake.

Dan, I am sorry if I caused you any problems today. :-* You know, man, I am all about joking around. Ask any one of my detecting partners and they will tell you the same.

In all veneration to your professional abilities on ra-search and da-tecting, I will decorously withdraw myself for the night and will you see ya'll tomorrow mornin'.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom