Ever been told Ok to hunt......then gotten the Boot!!

Bomgoat

Apr 30, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Took the day off from work today and decided to head to an old abandoned house I have had my eye on. I get to the old house at about 10 am and noticed an older lady outside at the house next door. I walk over to her and ask if she knew who the owner of the old house was and she said that she owned it. I asked if it would be alright if I could medal detect around the old yard and she said that it would be no problem and that she had two sons who would come every now and then to medal detect at the old house and that they never found much of anything. Well about two hours into my hunt I had found 5 wheat pennies, an old tube of Ben-Gay and a medal token from Proctor & Gamble (which I have now found out is an old medal coupon) along with a bunch of junk. At this time the old lady walks over to see how I was doing and if I had found anything. I tell her about the wheat's and the other things, she doesn't say much and wishes me luck and heads back to her house. About an hour later she comes back over to tell me that she has decided that I need to leave and get off her property. She mentioned something along the lines of she didn't think it was fair for me to be getting old coins and things like that when her sons, which would be visiting in June, could be getting the stuff, plus it would be hard to explain to them that a stranger left with everything if they didn't find anything. I think she probably called one of her sons and told them what I found and they probably told her to get rid of me before I ran off with a bunch of old coins and whatnot. ::) Anyway I thanked her for letting me hunt there and she thanked me for filling in all my holes as she couldn't tell I had dug anything up. She then told me of an old house about 3 blocks away that was abandoned and that I might have some luck there. Well to make a long story longer I ended up at the house she mentioned and spent the rest of the day there. I ended up doing pretty good for the day as you will see in the pics.... 10 Wheat Pennies (5 from the old ladies place and 5 from the second house), a 1940 Mercury Dime (my first) and a bunch of other odds and ends. I am pretty proud of the Merc Dime, not only because it is my first one but because I think they are the best looking of all U.S. coins. I was also pretty stoked about the Matchbox Pontiac Trans-Am I found as I am a huge Pontiac fan (I own a numbers matching 1972 GTO). The rest of the stuff is pretty interesting as well and I had an awesome time digging the stuff up, it definitely beat a day at work. Thanks for reading my long story and taking a look at my pics... Take Care.

Attachments

• DSC00313.JPG
    DSC00313.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 937
  • DSC00316.JPG
    DSC00316.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 925
  • DSC00320.JPG
    DSC00320.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC00321.JPG
    DSC00321.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 919
  • DSC00314.JPG
    DSC00314.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 912
  • DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 918
Upvote 0
We didn't get booted but it amounted to the same thing. Jim & I were hunting an AAA sponsered combination golf course and swimming beach. We were hitting deep Barbers and newer silver coins on a regular basis. Jim got a spectacular type 1 SLQ and a gold pocket watch case. My favorite came from the swimming area in the form of an Orphan Annie premium ring, silver plated but in perfect condition. Then the ownership changed hands and when we visited next and checked in(as usual) we were told they weren't allowing anyone to detect anymore because someone had come in from the public boat launch right next door and detected in the water without asking! I hate to think what is still left there that'll never see the light of day.

Twenty years ago, me and my hunting partner asked the minister of an old country church if we could search around, he said sure. A half hour later he comes out to see how we are doing. We were proud to show him the half dozen indian head pennies we found and right then he said we have to leave. We never thought he would say yes then turn on us. So, gotta be careful about showing the good stuff to the owner.

Nice finds and you can't hardly blame her and I could tell you didn't. You did ok anyway, good hunting!

What were her grand kids using a pin pointer. ::)
If they cant find anything do you think maybe they should take a hike and leave you alone.
I would let you MD at my great grand fathers house. ::)

Well nice find and congrates on the Merc, HH.

CWH.

kane23 said:
I got permission to search a yard. I was there for five minutes and popped out a nice 1920-s half. The woman owner had been spying on me out the window and came running out after seeing the half come out. She immediatly told me to leave. Go figure....Kane 23

Money is the root of all evil ;D

I seldom have that problem, however, I am not a collector. I usually come straight out and tell the owner that I will keep all clad coins, and if I locate anything with historical significance, I will turn that over to him / her, and let them have first refusal.

Interestingly enough, most folks refuse to accept the old coins, and let me carry them off. :icon_sunny:

crazyjarhead said:
kane23 said:
I got permission to search a yard. I was there for five minutes and popped out a nice 1920-s half. The woman owner had been spying on me out the window and came running out after seeing the half come out. She immediatly told me to leave. Go figure....Kane 23

Money is the root of all evil ;D

Technically it's "the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." Translation...it's OK to have money, it's not OK to make it the master of your life.

Sermon over ;D

Not bad for the day. At least you got something out of it before you had to leave.

Reminds me of a old school house I detected at,years ago. I asked permission to search the yard and the man said go ahead,its been hunted before,by a Sportsmen Club,you wont find anything. I said ok,give me a try.When got done,I showed him what I found. Toy cars,coins,including a silver dime,silver quarter,walking liberty half,other coins,misc.
I asked him I could come back and he said sure,make sure I am home. Well the next time I went back,he said he had company and said come another time. Went back again and and he gave me another excuse,more company. After that,I didnt go back,he must have told his buddies,what I found. Always wondered,what else was there.Nice while it lasted!

Awesome day! I have always wanted to find one of those Case Eagles standing on the globe. Too cool. :thumbsup:

So what's in the tube or was in the tube?
Trying to read the red writing...... getting all sorts of words..
Cheers

The tube is an early 1900's analgesic cream for sore muscles invented by Jules Bengue'. Product is still around now known as Ben-Gay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back