Ever been told Ok to hunt......then gotten the Boot!!

Bomgoat

Apr 30, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Took the day off from work today and decided to head to an old abandoned house I have had my eye on. I get to the old house at about 10 am and noticed an older lady outside at the house next door. I walk over to her and ask if she knew who the owner of the old house was and she said that she owned it. I asked if it would be alright if I could medal detect around the old yard and she said that it would be no problem and that she had two sons who would come every now and then to medal detect at the old house and that they never found much of anything. Well about two hours into my hunt I had found 5 wheat pennies, an old tube of Ben-Gay and a medal token from Proctor & Gamble (which I have now found out is an old medal coupon) along with a bunch of junk. At this time the old lady walks over to see how I was doing and if I had found anything. I tell her about the wheat's and the other things, she doesn't say much and wishes me luck and heads back to her house. About an hour later she comes back over to tell me that she has decided that I need to leave and get off her property. She mentioned something along the lines of she didn't think it was fair for me to be getting old coins and things like that when her sons, which would be visiting in June, could be getting the stuff, plus it would be hard to explain to them that a stranger left with everything if they didn't find anything. I think she probably called one of her sons and told them what I found and they probably told her to get rid of me before I ran off with a bunch of old coins and whatnot. ::) Anyway I thanked her for letting me hunt there and she thanked me for filling in all my holes as she couldn't tell I had dug anything up. She then told me of an old house about 3 blocks away that was abandoned and that I might have some luck there. Well to make a long story longer I ended up at the house she mentioned and spent the rest of the day there. I ended up doing pretty good for the day as you will see in the pics.... 10 Wheat Pennies (5 from the old ladies place and 5 from the second house), a 1940 Mercury Dime (my first) and a bunch of other odds and ends. I am pretty proud of the Merc Dime, not only because it is my first one but because I think they are the best looking of all U.S. coins. I was also pretty stoked about the Matchbox Pontiac Trans-Am I found as I am a huge Pontiac fan (I own a numbers matching 1972 GTO). The rest of the stuff is pretty interesting as well and I had an awesome time digging the stuff up, it definitely beat a day at work. Thanks for reading my long story and taking a look at my pics... Take Care.

Attachments

• DSC00313.JPG
    DSC00313.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 936
  • DSC00316.JPG
    DSC00316.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 924
  • DSC00320.JPG
    DSC00320.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 932
  • DSC00321.JPG
    DSC00321.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 918
  • DSC00314.JPG
    DSC00314.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 911
  • DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 917
Upvote 0

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Excellent stuff! Great merc! Looks like somebody rolled the pontiac! :tongue3: Too bad she booted ya...Looks like it would have given up some nice stuff. :icon_scratch: The other house sounds good! Dig it! :icon_pirat:

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
good finds,,, sounds like you did the hobby a good deed,,, and left with out a big scene.. leaving on good terms may let you back in ,, on a latter date> wishful thinking.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I have... but it was my own fault... i was hunting the Confederate approach to a small battle... nice little horse farm.. and.... like an idiot.. I climbed over one of the fence to get into the next field... kept hunting for a few hours then went to my car to get a drink... there was a note in my car on the drivers seat.. "Please do not come back, I don't want you breaking my fences by climbing on them!" DOH!! Now... I was maybe 165 lbs at the time.. and these were solid 4 board fences... if I thought there was a chance I would hurt them... I never would have climbed them.. but he was right.. his property... his rules.. what really sucked was... my only trip there produced a medium fork tongue buckle and a nice reale...

MB

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt and too bad about the change of heart. I had the same thing happen at the Lazy Man's Rest after the husband told me I could hunt and then called me a week later and said he changed his mine. They must think we are going to get rich off of their property and not give them anything for hunting it >:(

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Bomgoat said:
Took the day off from work today and decided to head to an old abandoned house I have had my eye on. I get to the old house at about 10 am and noticed an older lady outside at the house next door. I walk over to her and ask if she knew who the owner of the old house was and she said that she owned it. I asked if it would be alright if I could medal detect around the old yard and she said that it would be no problem and that she had two sons who would come every now and then to medal detect at the old house and that they never found much of anything. Well about two hours into my hunt I had found 5 wheat pennies, an old tube of Ben-Gay and a medal token from Proctor & Gamble (which I have now found out is an old medal coupon) along with a bunch of junk. At this time the old lady walks over to see how I was doing and if I had found anything. I tell her about the wheat's and the other things, she doesn't say much and wishes me luck and heads back to her house. About an hour later she comes back over to tell me that she has decided that I need to leave and get off her property. She mentioned something along the lines of she didn't think it was fair for me to be getting old coins and things like that when her sons, which would be visiting in June, could be getting the stuff, plus it would be hard to explain to them that a stranger left with everything if they didn't find anything. I think she probably called one of her sons and told them what I found and they probably told her to get rid of me before I ran off with a bunch of old coins and whatnot. ::) Anyway I thanked her for letting me hunt there and she thanked me for filling in all my holes as she couldn't tell I had dug anything up. She then told me of an old house about 3 blocks away that was abandoned and that I might have some luck there. Well to make a long story longer I ended up at the house she mentioned and spent the rest of the day there. I ended up doing pretty good for the day as you will see in the pics.... 10 Wheat Pennies (5 from the old ladies place and 5 from the second house), a 1940 Mercury Dime (my first) and a bunch of other odds and ends. I am pretty proud of the Merc Dime, not only because it is my first one but because I think they are the best looking of all U.S. coins. I was also pretty stoked about the Matchbox Pontiac Trans-Am I found as I am a huge Pontiac fan (I own a numbers matching 1972 GTO). The rest of the stuff is pretty interesting as well and I had an awesome time digging the stuff up, it definitely beat a day at work. Thanks for reading my long story and taking a look at my pics... Take Care.

Deal breaker.
Newt

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds good looking wheaties and nice merc....Matt

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
To bad she chased ya off , but 'least she turned ya onto another promising property !

I got 2 for ya...Old home , man of the house said YEAH !! COOL !! .... cant wait ta see whatya find !! Then the wifey saw me and lost her mind !! as I was running for my life I could hear her in the house yelling at him. She may have killed him for all I know ! I guess she couldnt stand seeing men enjoy themselves

2nd place old 1810 house...lady says its fine....good luck. "bout 5 minutes into my hunt I get a 5 inch deep high vdi in the 85+ range , cut a plug and begin to pull out a nice Lg cent and she comes runnin ! I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE GONNA DIG UP THINGS !!! ( :icon_scratch: ) Well whats the point ???? :dontknow:

I have an even worse story...the kicker of them all but I will not get into that one....lets just say I met the queen of the she devils.

But on the other side of the spectrum I've met some FANTASTIC land owners that bent over backwards to help me , cooked me a lunch , bought me beer , let us take a dip in their pool , and even showed me where old cellar holes and good detectin sites were ! So ya meet all kinds !

D. :tard:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Yep it has happened to us all at one time or another. Just part of the business I suppose. Either way I think you did quite well for the short time you were there. And what the heck, you got a Merc and some nice wheats. Just look back at the experience and move on to the next hot spot. There are plenty out there! Goodluck :thumbsup: jgas

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good day..even with being run out of your 1st place.....
the eagle on the globe that says case is probably an emble off an old tractor..may be worth a little to a case collector or tractor memorbilia collector..

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Way to stay with it, good diggs :thumbsup:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
No doubt mercs are awesome, that is quite humorous that after realizing you were finding everything she kicked you off. Great finds and keep at it!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Derek752 said:
To bad she chased ya off , but 'least she turned ya onto another promising property !

I got 2 for ya...Old home , man of the house said YEAH !! COOL !! .... cant wait ta see whatya find !! Then the wifey saw me and lost her mind !! as I was running for my life I could hear her in the house yelling at him. She may have killed him for all I know ! I guess she couldnt stand seeing men enjoy themselves

2nd place old 1810 house...lady says its fine....good luck. "bout 5 minutes into my hunt I get a 5 inch deep high vdi in the 85+ range , cut a plug and begin to pull out a nice Lg cent and she comes runnin ! I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE GONNA DIG UP THINGS !!! ( :icon_scratch: ) Well whats the point ???? :dontknow:

I have an even worse story...the kicker of them all but I will not get into that one....lets just say I met the queen of the she devils.

But on the other side of the spectrum I've met some FANTASTIC land owners that bent over backwards to help me , cooked me a lunch , bought me beer , let us take a dip in their pool , and even showed me where old cellar holes and good detectin sites were ! So ya meet all kinds !

Don't get me wrong about picking on women but the one I ran into last week was not very nice at all. As I walked up to her about 2;30 PM she says, "good morning"?? I asked her and introduced myself and she said in a mean voice," No!! I don't think so"!! end of conversation

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Nice finds!! Closest problem I had was a went to a county park which people have detected for years, paid my $5.00 entry fee. Found about $7.00 in clad, and then was confronted by the park supervisor to pack my detector back in my truck because there were too many people in the park :icon_scratch:So when I left, I ask for my entrance fee back, and got it.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
First of all......ATA-BOY on the first buddy!! Those mercs are a favorite of mine, only to be outdone by everything older..lol.
I have had a few of those predicaments. I would get permission to come back so the husband could be there with me while i'm digging, then when I returned the story had changed and they didnt want me to hunt. I dont mind being turned down as long as they do it right up front and dont make me waste my time getting my hopes up.
Looks like you also found some pocket watch bodies and a harmonica reed. Keep working it slow and keep the coil close to the ground. 8)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:

Its funny how muny people don't understand that you have to dig :icon_scratch: I've met a few

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a State Park once I asked if I could look around with my metal detector. The guy said sure go ahead so I get started. The first hole I dig the comes over and Say's "Oh I did not know you would be digging holes." I'm thinking what the heck, yea buddy I just want to walk around and listen to signals. ??? :icon_scratch:

Nice Merc, once you dig one they come much easier after that. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread