What's new

Ever have a teller refuse to sell you halves?

eastbaybounty

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Called a few banks asking if they had halves, one bank said they had a few hundred worth. So I drove straight down there, and they said the had 5k in halves, i said I will take 500 (thats all I brought with) then the other teller said that someone had already picked them up ( I guess there is a big time CR hunter at this bank) anyhow, she said she had 8 rolls of halves, some loose halves and a bunch of Ike dollars (looked to be about 50 or so) I said I would take everything. Then she said, oh btw do you have an account here? And I said no. Then she says she cant sell them to me. So i said I would like to open an account then, to which teller number 2 chimes in again "what is your usual bank?" and I told her bofa, then she says "Mabye you should order some halves through them" How rude right? totally blew me off when I asked to open an account! at this point the lady behind me says she will buy them for me. She bought all the halves but forgot the Ikes, oh well, I ended up getting 8 rolls of bicentenials, with one 67 in one of the rolls(weird that they were all bicentenial but there was one 67 mixed in) and got a 67 out of the loose halves.
Anyone ever experience somthing like this?
 
Upvote 0
the other day at a ST. EDMONDS S+L....asked if they had rolls of halfs...she says "yes do you have an account here" i said "no" and she shook her head ...no....i had to open a $25 checking account and when i returned she said "how many?" ....she wound up only having $100 in rolls and $1 in loose...black and white machine rolls....didnt look good....asked her if she had any large dollars ...she said " you mean IKES?.....i said "YES"...she said "NO,someone picked up a hundred an hour ago"hmmmm...another CRHer in the neighborhood...anyway the rolls were as expected....SKUNKS....
 
I have been to two banks that have asked if I had an account, and all i wanted was pennies! I know, right? Most tellers are thrilled to do so. I haven't been back to the one (b/c they had the "condom" rolls from brinks :tongue3:) bit I opened an account at the RBC. Another bank that serves a certain clientele said "you have to be a customer" when I asked to buy some pennies. I should have said how dare you think I am not a customer and stormed out but I wasn't that fast on my feet.
I still don't understand why simple transactions that could take 3 min. topps can't be carried out. SERIOUSLY!
(not sure why I got so mad........hmm :icon_scratch:
 
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but if you do not have an account at a particular bank and they refuse to sell you halves or other coins, it is your fault.

Most banks let you open an account with 25-100 bucks. Open an account there and then you can go to any branch of that bank in your area and they will give you whatever you want, generally speaking. In this day and age you cannot expect any "free lunch" so to speak.

Having said that, there are a couple of banks that sell me halves here and I don't have an account with them. But if I go in there someday and they said no, not without an account, I would not whine about it since it would be in their right since I am not a customer.

If you are serious about CRHing, then open accounts at the banks you like to go to then you can go crazy an order as much as they will let you buy. But if you don't have an account somewhere, it is up to the whims of the tellers who may or may not be in a good mood that day.

With respect to what happened to eastbaybounty, they were complete a$$hole$ to diss you once you offered to open an account. I would be mad too based on that behavior. The couple of banks here that turned me down because I did not have an account offered to let me open one if I still wanted the halves they had in stock. A couple of times I said yes and now I get halves from them whenever I want.

My 2 cents.

Jim
 
Happened to me today. Teller said she had $920 in halves that came from one customer. I figured dump so I said I'd take $100 and the teller asked for my account #. I said I didn't have an account and she refused to sell them. I said I would get sign up for an account later and left. I didn't have the time that today. Will probably sign up when I have a half hour to spare.
 
And then there are the banks that will order boxes upon boxes for you, even tho you have no account with them......AMC
 
AMC rulz said:
And then there are the banks that will order boxes upon boxes for you, even tho you have no account with them......AMC


True, then you have banks where you have been a customer for years and they want to charge you a per box fee or charge you to dump.

Good thing there are lots of banks where I live. If you don't like one, go to another. Banks are eager for your business nowadays.

Jim
 
Yes I've had this happen to me several times. At first I asked them doesn't my walking through the front door make me a customer? Most of them said they'll sell me coin this time but from now on would have to open an account. So I did. I have opened savings accounts with minimum balances at several of the banks in this area. LOL one particularly nasty teller still gives me attitude when I come in but I just smile and say thanks when I leave.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom