Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there done that.

Me too they’re sitting out front of my front door. By the time I did feel like a regular Jack ass IMG_0012.jpg

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. since we're sharing. I was out detecting tonight and I had a pretty deep signal and at the bottom I found a piece of metal peeking out. when I rubbed the dirt off It looked like tarnished silver so I very carefully dug around it and elongated the hole so I could get it out without damaging it. I had to laugh at myself when it turned out to be some kind of ordinary metal strip and I placed my lesche digger in the hole and took a picture to share all my hard work for naught with my brother. After taking the picture I carefully filled in the hole and went off to search for better finds. I got a signal and knelt down to dig it and reached for my digger and it wasnt in my pouch. I searched all around me and got up and went back to where I was last and didnt see it. I stood there in puzzlement for a few moments and thought "Surely Not". Yep, I had buried my Lesche tool at the bottom of the last hole. Luckily I had my new found piece of "silver' to dig it out with. :D

I'm really enjoying reading these. This is the winner so far (and I could see myself doing it)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really enjoying reading these. This is the winner so far (and I could see myself doing it)

It really does give a frozen indoor hunter, something with which to pass the time.

Some real corkers up there! LOL

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only one time when I went out swinging a Garrett.

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The law of supply and demand. The things and products in life you never think twice about until you reach a certain point in your life. If there's a demand for something, someone will fill that niche.

At 67 years old, I've come to the point my bowls are no longer cast iron. MDing in public places or in public view with no restrooms anywhere near, has caused some close calls, and it's not getting any better. I'm thinking of course about adult diapers...

This getting old is not for sissies.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The law of supply and demand. The things and products in life you never think twice about until you reach a certain point in your life. If there's a demand for something, someone will fill that niche.

At 67 years old, I've come to the point my bowls are no longer cast iron. MDing in public places or in public view with no restrooms anywhere near, has caused some close calls, and it's not getting any better. I'm thinking of course about adult diapers...

This getting old is not for sissies.

Have had a few unexpected BLOW OUTS myself. :icon_pale: Have driven home with no underwear or socks a few times. Socks are great for emergency clean ups.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
there was this time that involved a branch and me digging in a bottle pit. the branch fell out of the tree and stunned me and fell face first into the wall thank goodness there wasn't any shard poking out

Jan 22, 2019
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Garrett ACE 300
Minelab Go-Find 40
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was walking down a hill when I tripped over something. As I was running down the hill to try to regain my balance I dropped my metal detector and my pants fell down (I was going commando that day). When I finally hit the bottom of the hill, I fell to my hands and knees. So there I was on all fours with my bum in the air.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was walking down a hill when I tripped over something. As I was running down the hill to try to regain my balance I dropped my metal detector and my pants fell down (I was going commando that day). When I finally hit the bottom of the hill, I fell to my hands and knees. So there I was on all fours with my bum in the air.

Lol Mark!

CorgiDoom1881

Feb 13, 2019
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One time I was detecting in a park and a group of kids about 12 years old started watching me dig. I had headphones on, so they didn't say anything to me and just watched like I was a deer they didn't want to startle. The signal was a penny and a couple applauded and seemed impressed. As they walked away, one said "That guy's gonna' be rich". I thought it was pretty funny moment, but I doubt I'll get rich digging pennies.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my younger days, I always went totally "commando" under my jeans. Out detecting in a populated public area. Got a signal and squatted down to dig and felt a big rip. Next thing I know, the boys and their buddy are swinging in the wind! :occasion18: Quickly stood back up and carefully made my way back to the truck.

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was river detecting not far downstream from an area lots of tourists put their tubes in to float the river. Fighting the current trying to locate a target and off came my shorts and downstream they went. I stood up just as a bunch of tubers were approaching. To make matters worse the river was really cold that day.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a gold wedding ring several times while out hunting...it is always on my left hand, third finger...the pinpointer is singing, and I am frustrated as the dirt sifts through with no recovery...THEN the light bulb goes on...

Love to tell you it has only happened a couple of times, but...well...

Last edited:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the beach after work 2 am in my torn up oil stained clothes this kid comes up and says here man and shoves his pocket change in my hand! Guess he thought i was homeless.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me, but my hunting partner. Sunday morning hunt, park on edge of hay field to start our 1/2 hour hike up a big hill to our site to hunt. We had hunted for about 10 minutes when my partner comes and tells me he had lost his cell phone. We searched the area he had been hunting and I was repeatedly calling his number listning for the ring. We started our trip back down the hill looking and got all the way back to the truck and had not found it. The trip down took an hour because 8f the search. I checked inside the truck and the phone layed on his seat.

Not done yet. We climbed back up the hill, took a 10 minute break and were getting ready to go back swinging, when he tells me he has lost his phone again. UNREAL, We started back down again and I'm ringing his number non-stop again and fortunately found the phone at about 200' from the site.

I picked up the phone, put it my pack and would let him have it till we were done for the day. That's the way our hunt went for the day also.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where's the candid camera video when you need it?! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread