Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try metal detecting around in a orchard of almond tree short unforgiving limbs on those trust me my head knows that don't know how many times I've dug under one than forget I was under a limb and thunk there goes a nice lump on my head or when the trees are in full bloom get too distracted looking at the ground and walk into a bee covered branch then run off looking like an idiot with hair full of very pissed off bees lol

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One time I was at a park and there were some younger people partying there. They were poking fun and yelling things like "there's no money here". I got annoyed and left but a car started chasing me honking the horn. I was so annoyed and was assuming they were trying to tease me some more that I refused to look at them even when they got next to me. I figured out a few miles later that I had left my digging tool and gloves on the trunk of the car. I found them a ways back on the road, luckily they hadn't been run over. The people in the car were just trying to tell me.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, unfortunately, I just had another one yesterday evening:BangHead:
Wyoming Valley Relics and I went for our first joint hunt. We had both dug a few targets and were having a good day of it. Since we were in a corn field, I was dragging a sharpshooter shovel along with me even though I had my Garrett Side Digger on my belt with my pointer and finds pouch. I dug a hole with the shovel on one target and found it was in the wall. I reached for the digger......it wasn't there! We both walked over areas I had been and looked for it, but it wasn't found. I told WVR I would return this morn and find it. I DID return, but...even with my detector in all metal mode, no luck:dontknow:
Not only did WVR get the best finds of the hunt, but he also returned home with ALL his equipment, lol.
UPDATE: I went back again and found my digger and another wheat, Yay!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had to share this one. ;)

I was out today and along came this groundskeeper. I saw him coming and the theme song from Dragnet started playing in my head.
But, he was ok. He said he saw how careful I was in putting the dirt back and had no problems with what I was doing. However he told me it was a waste of time. He said he'd been pulled in too. All the hype and the shows and stuff he'd bought a detector, hunted for an entire year! EVEN, where I was just looking.

He said he never found anything more than a quarter. Never found a ring, jewelry, or even a silver coin. Just a big waste of time!

While we talked I finished up the hole I had stopped when he walked up and inside it was this cute little silver like heart. I showed him that and he was shocked! A few minutes later while standing there talking and sweating we both heard a "plink"! My detector screamed and there, laying right on top of the coil was his wedding band! LOL It had fallen off his finger while we were standing there! He sheepishly mentioned something about he'd been losing a lot of weight lately and some other stuff. But, his face was BEET RED!!! LOL

We both laughed for quite a while!

He said he didn't know they pulled the rings right off someone's finger!! LOL

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was when I was digging a penny signal. I dug my plug, put in my pinpointer and got a screaming signal so turned it off dug a little more same thing, turned it off, dug some more nothing. Went this way for about 6 inches. Turned pinpointer on and the signal was screaming in the hole no matter where i pointed. Thought must be big iron or a can. Took pointer out of the hole while it was on and my pointer was still screaming. I looked and in the mud stuck to the end of my pointer was a penny.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst I was tripping,stumbling and in general having a rather bad day in the cornfield. I knelt down to pin point a signal in a hole I dug. I found it and when I laid my pro-pointer down to finish digging it, it sounded off. I look and sure enough, there's a rather large old bullet. Right on top and right under the nose of the pointer.

I finished my hole, it had can slaw. My pro-pointer was just laying there laughing up at me.
I said, "Show off!"

:dontknow:

Some days are coal, some are diamonds. :dontknow:

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
I've been hunting for over 30 years and my embarrassing moments are many, but the one that pops up is an incident at my favorite local park years ago. It was late in the winter and I had cabin fever bad. I went out to scout for some thawed out ground to hunt and came across a steep hillside that had the sun on it, thawing out the top 2 or 3 inches of ground. I started getting targets and had to chop into the frozen ground under the top couple of wet sloppy inches of mud, with my digger, to retrieve the targets. The footing was very iffy and my feet keep slipping downhill a little with each step as I walked. I stooped over to probe my next target, at the top of the hill with my back facing downhill. My feet started to slip again, and I couldn't stop them. I proceeded to "ski" downhill and backwards desperately trying to stay upright and not fall and bust my butt. I made it all the way down to the bottom about 100 feet and slid right out into the street, standing up, and came to a halt. I looked back up the hill at the 2 ruts I left in the turf, all the way down to me and felt relieved and a little proud of myself for successfully avoiding a fall and tumble. Just then I heard a voice behind me and turned to see a lady leaning out the window of the car I had slid in front of. I can't remember exactly what she said but it was something to the effect of me trying out for a new Olympic sport or something. I left for home after that 8-)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
To get my three year old I to "treasure hunting" I started planting clad around for her to find. First easy ones at the bases of trees and by mushrooms where they're sometimes found (a little white lie). Next I started baiting holes with coins and letting her use the pinpointer.

Next I let her run around with the pinpointer while we were detecting and she would find garbage while I hunted. One day she said she found something and t turned it to be a 1910 V-Nickel on the surface. I searched and a little deeper was a SLH and a Washington silver.

She refers to them as "her silvers" now

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, at least you found it after you lost it after you found it.

Did I say that right??

Good story.

crazydigger

Jan 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
I've been hunting for over 30 years and my embarrassing moments are many, but the one that pops up is an incident at my favorite local park years ago. It was late in the winter and I had cabin fever bad. I went out to scout for some thawed out ground to hunt and came across a steep hillside that had the sun on it, thawing out the top 2 or 3 inches of ground. I started getting targets and had to chop into the frozen ground under the top couple of wet sloppy inches of mud, with my digger, to retrieve the targets. The footing was very iffy and my feet keep slipping downhill a little with each step as I walked. I stooped over to probe my next target, at the top of the hill with my back facing downhill. My feet started to slip again, and I couldn't stop them. I proceeded to "ski" downhill and backwards desperately trying to stay upright and not fall and bust my butt. I made it all the way down to the bottom about 100 feet and slid right out into the street, standing up, and came to a halt. I looked back up the hill at the 2 ruts I left in the turf, all the way down to me and felt relieved and a little proud of myself for successfully avoiding a fall and tumble. Just then I heard a voice behind me and turned to see a lady leaning out the window of the car I had slid in front of. I can't remember exactly what she said but it was something to the effect of me trying out for a new Olympic sport or something. I left for home after that 8-)
that's hilarious !

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello Easter morning of this year.....the day after my first date with Wonderful Magic Maggie. I find a 14k ring with a big ....at least a caret clear white stone. I call Maggie and say SEE! this is why I do this and why I'm not at your house meeting friends. this is my passion....I just found between 3500 and 5000 $$$$ for an investment of a battery recharge! It was and is a CZ in 14K. Now I'm humble....again. But hey?, Maggie got it. She's wearing my 1.69 caret ruby with half caret diamond accents and we will be married in May. I found treasure. Not tooooo embarrassed. :hello2:

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started back into this hobby this summer. Long story short about mid summer I decided to detect my neighbors yard which I do often. I get a decent signal and I cut the plug. Since I have not bought a pin pointer yet I always run the plug under my coil, knock off some dirt into the hole, and repeat the process until I find the object. Well I found one penny (the one that originally was the signal) but the problem was I kept getting another penny signal in the plug. So after tearing this plug completely apart I realized the night before I had my gloves in my pocket along with two pennies which made their way into the tips of my middle and pointer fingers! So my dumb*** is sitting there continuously running two pennies under the coil that were stuck in my glove while wondering why I can't find them in the plug! Thankfully no one was around! It was comical. HH!

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ODA...I'll see if I can talk to packaging and shipping about maybe putting those units in a different box...lol

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Last year I was bottle digging in an old privy pit in my backyard, it was a hole 5 feet deep, I was doing some detailed work trying not to damage stuff with my cheap plastic trowel from the dollar store. I decide that I have done a good enough job, and move a few feet over to check. I noticed that I could not find my trowel, I was looking everywhere, until it hit me, my trowel was 5 feet underground, in the bottom of the hole. I bet you it is still there right now, for I dig not think it was worth digging another 5 feet after filling the hole in perfectly. I bet you that that trowel is still in that hole right now!

sorahc

Feb 7, 2013
I was digging in a briar patch on a heavily hunted battleground. I dug lots of bullets and a couple of eagle buttons when I decided I had had enough and would come back another day. I was pretty tired and walking through briars is tough even when I'm fresh. Long story short, I tried to power my way through, got tangled up around my ankles and fell. On the way down my ear got caught on a broken tree branch and split wide open requiring 23 stitches to repair. But that's not the funny part. As I'm hitting the ground, the buddy I'm hunting with sees me falling and yells, "Down goes Frazier!"

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much all my embarrassing moments are when I stumble across two people doing their thing in their birthday suits..keeping one eye on my machine and one Eye on them. ..Oops I didn't say that. .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Pretty much all my embarrassing moments are when I stumble across two people doing their thing in their birthday suits..keeping one eye on my machine and one Eye on them. ..Oops I didn't say that. .
Lol! Always get pictures![emoji1]

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 funny stories, the first was when I got a silver hit at a beach with my metal detector. I dug about 2 feet down and thought I was going to find a treasure chest. Turns out it was stairs that had been burried under the sand. A bunch of local teens laughed at us for wasting our time. The second is I was at a park and it was very busy that day. I was checking around a river and lost my balance, threw my metal detector in the air so it wouldn't get destroyed, and fell face first into the river. I wish it wasn't such a busy day.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have 2 funny stories, the first was when I got a silver hit at a beach with my metal detector. I dug about 2 feet down and thought I was going to find a treasure chest. Turns out it was stairs that had been burried under the sand. A bunch of local teens laughed at us for wasting our time. The second is I was at a park and it was very busy that day. I was checking around a river and lost my balance, threw my metal detector in the air so it wouldn't get destroyed, and fell face first into the river. I wish it wasn't such a busy day.
Seems like that stuff always happens when its busy and it seems everyone always notices!

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread