What's new

Ever lose your pin pointer?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2014
Messages
8,891
Reaction score
13,500
Golden Thread
0
Location
mid western ARK
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I detected for over three hours this morning and was pretty tired. I still had to go on into town to pick up some groceries and so headed to the store. As I got out of the truck, something prompted me to double check my detecting stuff. Sure enough, no pin pointer! Well, I was here and so I hurried inside and tried to get in and out as fast as i could. Of course, every one that I met wanted to talk but all I had on my mind was getting out to the truck and getting back to where I had been. Part of me was worried that I have even driven over it because I know I dug a hole like ten feet from the truck. of course I hit both lights wrong and had to wait but finally I pulled into the spot and got out to look for it. Sure enough, there was that orange carrot looking thing and it was in great shape. Earlier this summer, my wife had sat down on a stump before we left at dark. The next morning, she couldn't find her pin pointer and so we hurried back to the area. It was an area that had a lot of people using it and someone could have easily found it. Sure enough, there it was, lying right beside the stump. I normally check and make sure that I have put everything in the truck before I leave, but I didn't this one time. My pin pointer had actually fallen out of my pouch after I dug the last hole and was walking back to the truck to leave.
 
Yup, almost twice, dirtlooter, I think you and I both need to start thinking "lanyard?"
 
When I first started detecting I had the black propointer and was so bad about losing it I painted it yellow just so it would be easier to find. My next was the carrot stick just for the color.

Most non-diggers won't not pick it up for fear it's an adult novelty item.
 
I lost one of the old black Garrett pin pointers. Took me 45 minutes to back track and find it in the woods. I now put a nice big strip of hot pink duct tape on it. I like the feature of the carrot that has it beep when left on for a time.
 
i lost mine in the woods down by a creek never found it
 
Have only left mine behind once and fortunately had another target a few feet away so I didn't have far to look. Now its old and I sort of wish I would lose it so I would be justified in buying a carrot.
 
Last edited:
I have mine attached to me with a janitors key ring reel, for the exact reason of leaving it behind. It's awesome, extends out plenty for even the deepest holes and it's impossible to lose it now.
 
When I first started detecting I had the black propointer and was so bad about losing it I painted it yellow just so it would be easier to find. My next was the carrot stick just for the color.

Most non-diggers won't not pick it up for fear it's an adult novelty item.

I dipped my black pin pointers in the yellow plastic dip right after I got them, got the carrot now
 
Yup, almost twice, dirtlooter, I think you and I both need to start thinking "lanyard?"

yep, you could be right. it's almost as bad as getting to a site only to find that you left something important at the house....pick something, probably anything at least once. they say it gets worse.... but then they say a lot too.
 
Yes, once. I went back into the woods looking for it, and luckily I was able to find it where I last used it.
 
I haven't lost my pinpointer yet but I have left my Lesche shovel either leaning against a tree or stuck in the ground on more than one occasion. And, it does an excellent job of blending in with the trees and bushes.
 
Haha, well .... all the more reason to have the sunray in-line probe. Impossible to loose it. I have stood up, and started detecting again, after forgetting to re-clip it to the rod. As soon as I swing and see/feel it dangling around, will realize I forgot to re-attach it.
 
Found a flashlight holster at home depots, fit perfectly, has a belt/pocket clip so it would be tough to lose mine.
 
Lost my garrett black on a huge hunt and luckily someone I knew found it and heard I lost it - got it back at the end of the day
I use my garrett carrot now - friend of mine I bought a garrett black one for xmas lost his at a cellar hole - realized it after 5 mile walk back to his car - he said he was sorry - no way he was walking 5 miles back in and then 5 back out again - so one day some other hunter will prob come across it
I now have mine on a lanyard clipped to my pouch
 
Lost my first cheap pinpointer from AliExpress and when i returned to the spot i los it 20 minutes later, it was already gone. Bought then a (black) Deteknix pinpointer and forgot it also a couple of times but was lucky to find it back everytime. Now i have an extra orange Deteknix pinpointer, helps me more not to forget with this color.
 
Never lost mine, but just in case I duck taped my cell phone to it, so if I do lose it all I do is call it and follow the rings ! Just kidding !
 
I've thought about attaching a 'Tile' GPS tag to mine but haven't done so yet.
 
Yep twice. Was very fortunate that the second time the homeowner left it propped up at the base of a tree by the front door, so I didn't have to buy a third one😁
 
You just know that with so many people detecting, there had to be several that had a duh moment with their pin pointer or something else. I guess sometimes we might do it just to fit in LOL. I actually have the holster that came with the pointer but I keep an orange tube (M&Ms came in it) for coins to go in. My son n law made me a custom pouch that I totally love and being somewhat lazy, I just reach behind my back and set the pointer into it. Sometimes I miss, most of the time I feel it or hear it hitting the ground. I know that I had another holster, somewhere, just gotta find it. Forest Grump said it best, "it happens."
 
Lose my pinpointer?...nope! Now...have I ever. ...misplaced my uhhhh....At Pro? Maybe that could be another thread...Ddf
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom