What's new

Every Day Doesnt Have a Silver Lining

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

Mr Positive here, apparently the silver gods got together and decided the 16 coins I found last week were enough. I searched thru 12,000 halves today and I have nothing to show for it. I just love the exercise of carrying 300 plus pounds of halves out to my car(okay you caught me) I do use a 2-wheeler, but these bags are rough. I raise my glass to all you lucky devils who are knocking them dead. Cheers and HH, Jim
 
Upvote 0
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

How long does it take you to go through that many? Initially I was unwrapping my rolls by peeling the wrappers. I quickly figured out to give the roll a good whack on the corner of an old beat up file cabinet I have. The rolls split right open and it makes it easier and less hard on the fingers to search them.

Personally I would dread the dumping of all those more than hauling them to the car. At least as you were hauling them you probably had some excitement hoping you would hit a good find when you got home. But now you just have a ton of worthless reject coins to dump.

If you have the ability to buy and search that many coins at a time, you should be hitting pay dirt real soon I would imagine.

Jim
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

Darn Jim.....I surely hope it turns around for you. I sincerely feel for you. If I were one of those silver gods I would fill your next box/boxes..........your determination & efforts deserve a return.

Love your positive attitude though!!!!
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

Damn that is a bad beat if I ever have heard of one ... You are bound to a motherload after awhile ... best of luck with your next boxes
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

I must admit I have a helper. My 79 year old father in law rides shotgun with me. Since we get all our halves in bags it is easier to search lots of them. 12,000 takes us just over 2 hours to search for the silver. I don't even look for dates(waste of time for me). He edge searches by the handfull and I bounce them off a piece of aluminum plate. When I hear that distinctive silver ping, they get tossed in a keeper bag. Later I sort the keepers into 90s and 40s. My system seems to work for us.
We ran into the Loomis boys picking up at our dump bank. There were some sideways looks from these behemoths as I was carting in more than they were picking up that day. Gotta Love this Hobby, Jim
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

coolpix9 said:
My 79 year old father in law rides shotgun with me.

Is this the same gentleman you know who was introduced to?

coolpix9 said:
I bounce them off a piece of aluminum plate.

Interesting technique Jim.

coolpix9 said:
We ran into the Loomis boys picking up at our dump bank. There were some sideways looks from these behemoths as I was carting in more than they were picking up that day. Gotta Love this Hobby, Jim

Now that's funny!!
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

I'm with you on not checking all the dates. I can tell by the rims if it is a keeper or not. Even with proofs and NIFCs, you can tell a difference. I will check dates if it looks close, but mostly the 40s stick out from the rest of the roll of you hold them in a stack, even if the rim is black or otherwise darkened more than the usual copper color.

Sounds like you have a good system and with an accomplice it makes it more fun I imagine.

Jim
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

Hope your luck improves Jim. HH Mark
 
Re: Every Day Doesn't Have a Silver Lining

Silver Stripe said:
Hope your luck improves Jim. HH Mark
Any luck would be better...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom