What's new

excal 1000 discrimination

bucketofguts

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
324
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
thinking about dedicated salt water detector. thanks in advance. :thumbsup:b
 
Upvote 0
I personally don't use disc. If it doesn't null out, I dig it. Unless it's obviously a bottle cap.

Carry on.
 
I use no disc at all, if I get a signal both directions and it doesn't null I dig it.

Bottle caps are very easy to tell, but pulltabs will fool you and I don't want to miss a nice gold and diamond ring becasue I was too lazy to dig a signal.If you use disc you stand a good chance of missing gold jewelry.

Good luck ...............
 
Treasure_hunter

How do you identify bottle caps in all metal. What kind of tone or sound are we looking for?
 
pratt said:
Treasure_hunter

How do you identify bottle caps in all metal. What kind of tone or sound are we looking for?

I don't normally hunt in all metal at the beach. I hunt in disc, and the sound is hard to describe here but like a brrraap.I even rarely ever use pinpoint on excal as I am able pinpoint easly in disc mode.

When i am home this evening I can post a site that has them on sound files so you can listen to them, unless someone posts them for you before then.
 
I use no disc at all, if I get a signal both directions and it doesn't null I dig it.

Bottle caps are very easy to tell, but pulltabs will fool you and I don't want to miss a nice gold and diamond ring becasue I was too lazy to dig a signal.If you use disc you stand a good chance of missing gold jewelry.

I use no discrimination either. I hunt in disc. with the Excal and not all metal. The way the sound ramps up and down is an indicator of the id of the target too. You should get one of the Excal and Sov books by CJC as he discribes the way it works very well.
 
Good to see you again Sandman, hope all is better.

I would follow Sandman's advice, I learned a lot from his posts and the many pm's I bugged him with questions, he is the master. :thumbsup:
 
ok then. if you don,t use the disc, why would i not buy a sand shark. and save $500.00 USD! i can use to buy pain killers for my back. :icon_scratch: thanks a bunch!
 
Please do!

Lets put it this way, "I wish more people would buy the other water detectors!" I would have a lot more jewelry finds and a lot less competition on the beaches I hunt. Nothing I hate more then to see another hunter walk up in the water with an Excal, or even worse yet a water-proofed Sovereign GT, I think darn, more competition......................... I dont think that when they have other machines.

You can't beat a Minelab on the beach or an Excal or Sovereign in the water with the nulling of iron. :thumbsup:

Good luck and good hunting. .......................

.
 
I don’t run mine in all metal; I just turn the discriminate to 0. It nulls on iron. The last gold and diamond ring I found the sound was “AWOW” That was pretty cool. Got it appraised at $800 that’s an awoow to me. I just like the Excal.
 

Attachments

  • onyxdia.webp
    onyxdia.webp
    6 KB · Views: 386
what would the sound have be if the ring was a bent 6 penny cut nail? i would like to thank all who have responded! :icon_study:b ps. my sound is down!
 
bucketofguts said:
what would the sound have be if the ring was a bent 6 penny cut nail? i would like to thank all who have responded! :icon_study:b ps. my sound is down!

The sound on that 6 penny cut nail ring would have been nothing, Excals null on iron. The best thing is if there was a gold ring next to that nail, it would have nulled the iron, and then screamed G-O-L-D!!!!!............... :thumbsup:
 
copy! i now understand! thanks for your patients! :icon_sunny:b
 
No problem, there is a reason so many of us use Excals and Sovereigns on the beaches.
 
I am confused by replies which state hunting in the Disc position but not using discrimination. I would like clarification on this as I suspect that they are using minimum discrimination.

My Excalibur II 1000 has two positions: Disc and Pinpoint.

In the Disc position, the discriminators are switched on, and you tone on non ferrous metals - dependent on your discriminator knob settings and null on iron. If you rotate your discriminator knob to the most counter clockwise position which is "1" on the Excalibur II 1000, you are at minimum discrimination.

In the Pin point position, the discriminator circuits are switched out and you are in the All Metals mode - there is no discrimination by the metal detector. You get a tone on all metals (both non ferrous and ferrous - iron ).
 
Last edited:
Please do! Lets put it this way, "I wish more people would buy the other water detectors!" I would have a lot more jewelry finds and a lot less competition on the beaches I hunt. Nothing I hate more then to see another hunter walk up in the water with an Excal, or even worse yet a water-proofed Sovereign GT, I think darn, more competition......................... I dont think that when they have other machines.

You can't beat a Minelab on the beach or an Excal or Sovereign in the water with the nulling of iron.
.

I share a different opinion. I love coming in behind the "others" with my Shark. No fear here. :D
 
I look at it this way; Anyone who has a great deal of confidence in their machine and personal hunting skills/techniques,etc., has little to fear from the vast majority of the competition. Not because the vast majority of hunters are any less skilled, just that most of them lack the same level of total confidence. We can all pick out a few very successful hunters that we know and they all have one thing in common, "total confidence in their machine and hunting skills/techniques". Getting to that mental level is the real trick, regardless what machine you use.
 
Dew Guru: This is not an opinion, it is a fact: I would rather have you come behind me as I would have the better view.
What, I would fear while hunting with the Xcal is another treasure hunting approaching from the front or worse being circled to close because of EMI : Help Shark:exclamation:
 
Last edited:
Sandman: I am confused by your and other replies which state hunting in the Disc position and not using discrimination. I would like clarification on this as I suspect that they are using minimum discrimination.

My Excalibur II 1000 has to positions: Disc and Pinpoint.

When you are in the Disc, the discriminators are switched on, and you tone on non ferrous metals - dependent on your discriminator knob settings and null on iron. If you rotate your discriminator knob to the most counter clockwise position which is "1" on the Excalibur II 1000, you are at minimum discrimination. Is there a "0" position on older Xcals, if so this would be their minimum discrimination setting?

When you are in Pinpoint position, the discriminator circuits are switched off and you are in the All Metals mode and there is no discrimination by the metal detector and you get a tone on all metals (non ferrous and ferrous - iron ).

You are absolutely right! There is a confusion of terms here, in this thread: Some people who say "I don't use any discrimination" (yet they go on to add ".... unless it nulls out ....") ARE indeed using a form of "discrimination". Doh! The confusion is stemming from that,.... if someone is hunting in disc. mode ... ALBEIT with the disc. knob turned as low as it can go .... is STILL knocking out iron. And thus, even though they're "digging all" (in their mind), they're NOT REALLY "digging all", since they are tuning out iron, ..... afterall.

The same confusion has existed on forum with TID: Some people with tone ID machines have advocated "digging all", yet when you read closely in their post, you realize that they are hunting in some form of TID (even if it's merely 2-tonee), and they ARE eliminating the iron (even if only with their ears to subconsciously pass the low iron grunts). So in their mind, they have their machines set to "all-metal", (since they are "hearing all"), yet truth-be-told, the are STILL in a form of disc, since they can STILL elect to pass iron, or foil, or whatever-else they want based on tones.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom