camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have same problem. Use a couple of small zip ties. Just cut them when you what to clean out cover.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use just one zip tie on the middle bar of the coil and it keeps it on. I can ususally pull it open enough at an angle to wash out the sand. I have had the same one on for about 6 months but I don't get out as often as I would like...

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
lose the excalibur, coil cover, nothing but trouble in the water, traps sand in it and will give you false signals, fresh water hunt not as bad as salt water is,,

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Lose the cover and epoxy the coil-problem solved ;)

OP
OP
Birdman1

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's XLT and Surf Pro PI, Minelab Excal 1000
Thanks everyone. I think I will try the wire ties for now. Definitely want to keep the cover if possible. The coil got a lot of scratches yesterday in just a couple of hours of use. Lots of small rocks at the beach I am going to.
erikk are you referring to epoxy paint or something else? Thanks

Birdman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ties or tape to hold on the cover work well so you can clean it out. The epoxy that is talked about is a thick type that you can get at a hardware or boat yard. It lasts forever but you shouldn't coat the coil to much as it adds weight. Might be the best solution, though I use the cover.

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Birdman1 said:
Thanks everyone. I think I will try the wire ties for now. Definitely want to keep the cover if possible. The coil got a lot of scratches yesterday in just a couple of hours of use. Lots of small rocks at the beach I am going to.
erikk are you referring to epoxy paint or something else? Thanks

Birdman

I don't know if wire ties will work. Maybe you should use plastic ties instead.
Bob

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey, Birdman, had the same problem...just got my Excal 2 weeks ago, put it in the water for the first time a week ago.............and promptly lost the cover.............notice I said...had...because I didn't notice it had come off until about an hour later. Went back to look for it....gone. Zap. And on the detector's maiden voyage. Have ordered a new one and this time I am going to follow Sandman's advice.
---Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Birdman1

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Well that certainly stinks for a piece of equipment that costs this much money. Anyone ever call Minelab and see if they have a solution?

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I called Tony in CT (the dealer I bought my Excal from) and told him about the cover. He has ordered me a new one. I didn't know that anybody else was having the same problem until I saw your thread. I'm used to my DFX cover being on real tight.......so, I thought I had done something wrong with my new Excal. Now I realize that maybe Minelab might have a production problem. Heck, I hadn't even sent in my registration papers yet and had already lost part of the detector. Like you, I was used to my DFX's cover, and this problem caught me off guard. I was like a little lost kid, so I PM'd Sandman, asking for advice..........I thought I had broken the doggone thing!....kind of like when you have to change the diapers on your newborn kid.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Hey, you first-time dads out there know what I mean...LOL LORDY, what the heck is this??....did I break the kid already?? ;D ;D ;D
---Mel

borninok

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Lock Tite marine Epoxy. (Home Depot) Use masking tape around the edges and the slots to make it look neat. I hunt 3-5 times a week with shell and rocks and have had it on now for about 8 months with no wear. I liked it so much that I have done all the coils on all my detectors.
Want to buy some coil covers cheap!!!

OP
OP
Birdman1

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
I used the plastic wire ties this morning and had no more problems. Pulled it loose and hosed it out when I got home. Might still check into the epoxy from HD but this sure was an easy and cheap fix.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
erik is right. The locktite marine epoxy is your best bet. no black sand will ever get under it and give your detector screwy readings. It is extremely durable, even more so than the coil covers... and if you use the masking/painters tape to get a clean line... it looks like it was done at the factory.

The other thing I found that works fairly well, is spray on truck bed liner. It isn't nearly as durable as the epoxy, but still does a great job. It's also a little easier to apply it.

lose the coil cover... go with the epoxy

steve

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Birdman1 said:
I used the plastic wire ties this morning and had no more problems. Pulled it loose and hosed it out when I got home. Might still check into the epoxy from HD but this sure was an easy and cheap fix.
....Until some black sand works it's way under the CC and you are out in the water and you detector starts going nuts-then what? ???
Do it right the first time and you won"t have to worry about it again :)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Birdman
It is definitely a quick fix... but not a lasting one. I remember losing a coil cover once (from my surfmaster pi - before i epoxyied(sp?) it). I got home and threw 2 layers of duct tape on it. it worked well for 2 or 3 hours... then the tape peeled off... and you wouldn't believe how much sand was between the 2 layers of tape after an hour or so of hunting.

erik is right... do it right the first time, and you won't have to worry about it again.
steve

OP
OP
Birdman1

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
OK you guys win, I will try to do it right ;D In fact I just got back from the local Homey Depot and guess what? They didn't have it. So could someone post a pic or link to exactly what it is I will be looking for. Is it in spray or brush form? Does it come in pints, quarts or just a couple of ounces? ???

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
At HD you should find it hanging on the wall with the super glues next to the paint department ;D ;D

Attachments

• epoxy.jpg
    epoxy.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 227

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
be safe and get 2 i needed 2 to do my coil, also a hard brush or 2. i did the bottom and sides of the coil.

OP
OP
Birdman1

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks, now that I know what I am looking for maybe I will have better luck finding it. I will have to go to a bigger HD, the one nearest to me is a small one and that is always their excuse for not having the things that I need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread