Excal In PP mode versus discrimination mode

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
I see you guys using PP mode on your excals and wonder why mine does not go as deep that way. I use discrim mode because I think it goes deeper. Am I doing something wrong or is my machine different. My settings are discrim on 1, slight threshold, volume as comfortable as I can without getting blasted. If I switch to PP I use the same settings. PP is very hard to hear and deep targets are very very faint where in discrim it is much louder. Any comments appreciated. Here in Sarasota.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, what sensitivity are you using? I also have my volume at max, and threshold is like tiny mosquito in my ear. Deep targets are whispers and if you have volume down you will never hear them.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference comes from being able to run sensitivity just out of auto. Yes there is more modulation in PP mode..... but you get a real feel for depth of the target and size. If you are running at say 6 or 7 in disc ..... yes the run about the same..... crank it up to full sensitivity and you arent able to run it in disc because of all the falsing, but can use it to ID targets. You also gain in PP because there isnt ANY recovery time like in disc mode. That can make a difference when working in trash.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say use what works for you....

Me.............. PP/almetal offers so much more then depth. I'm able to hear every target that goes under the coil, then I can separation each out in disc mode. I can size out the target, long, short, big, small, and the shape of the target. Then comes the depth, I think TreasureHunter nailed it, volume must be full and as Dew said, run it Hot. With PP/AM I can tell the depth of the target, shallow...deep. With different conditions things could be different at your beach's. But every where I've tested PP its adds on about 2 to 4 inch. As seen in this airtest,....... and the airtest is to show that in disc mode there is a dead limit, if the signal is not strong enough to reading/process.......... it will null...........where as PP/AM it's the pure unprocessed signal with no restrictions. 7.5 inch coil Excalibur...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't realize I left off my sensitivity setting, I run mine like dew and OBN, as hot as I can run it and I hunt in pp then check in desc to see response, that is the advantage of having pp mod.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here as mentioned above. I have 3 Excals and run them all as hot as I can. Disc at 1, Sens just off auto, Vol max, Threshold slight buzz, and hunt in Pinpoint. Switch to Disc to I.D. target (mainly to check for iron). Dig everything except a dead null in most areas. i also have the pinpoint mod, 15" coils, and custom headphones on 2 of the 3 I have. One is stock 10" for diving and heavy surf use.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Excal II was the first metal detector I bought. OBN modified my headphones because I have tinnitus and am also not near him. Anyway after 5 years and having watched his videos and replies to all questions about the Excal II I will go on the record saying if Joe says it about the Excal II you can take it to the bank. Take a look at his multiyear annual ring counts they they speak volumes about his skill with the Excal. I've dubbing him "The Excal Ring King" for so he is.

OP
OP
S

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Detector(s) used
I'm sorry I forgot to mention my sensitivity. I run it around 11:00 give or take a little when in discrimination mode. I keep it there even if I switch to PP.

OP
OP
S

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks for you replies. I will try running full sensitivity, full volume and PP mode, and see if I can find anything. Quite a few guys around here use the Whites TDI and I hope to be able to compete with them.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for you replies. I will try running full sensitivity, full volume and PP mode, and see if I can find anything. Quite a few guys around here use the Whites TDI and I hope to be able to compete with them.

Then you may need a little more Power....I would think about the future on that subject. Maybe a Fisher "AQ" Impulse once they do come out. Or the talk of the Avtech ...... Cygnus I think its called. Both hopefully by summer. Even though I dig some very deep gold rings and silver coins the raw power of a overpowered PI is hard to match for the excalibur. One reason I am watching the future.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug targets over 20 inches deep with my excals with 15 inch coils in reverse discrimination, at my age that is deep enough...LOL...

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug targets over 20 inches deep with my excals with 15 inch coils in reverse discrimination, at my age that is deep enough...LOL...
Reverse discrimination? Explain. I don't have an Excal, but this thread is interesting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reverse discrimination? Explain. I don't have an Excal, but this thread is interesting.

Hunt in all metal and switch to discrimination when you get a target response. All metal is 4-6" Deeper on Excal.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl

If it’s there the excal will find it! If you’re hunting in the surf the excal will be a lot more stable and not constantly de-tuning as with a pi machine. I use a combo of both the excal and an older SurfMaster pi pro diver. Both are excellent machines for finding the yellow stuff but if I had to choose one or the other, it’d be the excal hands down! Haven’t tried the TDI yet but have followed posts on its ability to be cranked up voltage wise with a modded Lipo battery and from what I’ve seen it does have some punch 🤜.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have knobs on mine, but, I'm not sure they still turn! :laughing7:

Heh... remember the Kellyco giveaway thread.... the "I'm in"... thing ?

Which I am sure Is missed... and IMO they should bring it back.

Anyway... I won it one time... a $50 credit towards any purchase from K-co...

Welp I did not need anything... except I thought the Anderson replacement knobs so I had knobs again.

Problem was... I never use / change them... SO... I never missed them...

Hence... I never ordered new ones.

Wonder if I still have the 50 credit heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found the old msg from TreasureHunter...

Was the Jan of 2017 winner... so 3 years ago now... and knobs were gone well over year before that. heh

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, to be totally honest, the Threshold knob still turns seeing as how that's the only way to turn it on! Other than that, and since I have the pin point mod, the other knobs never get turned.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, to be totally honest, the Threshold knob still turns seeing as how that's the only way to turn it on! Other than that, and since I have the pin point mod, the other knobs never get turned.

no knob needed here.... but its tight turn.

I have strong fingers / fingertips... but is a pain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread