excal mod headphone question. new machine campared to 5 years ago model

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so ive done the headphone mod a few times, but its been years, now i got a new excal and it seems different, took the headphones apart and the speaker is siloconed completerly and thickly, used to be you could just pop them out and put them in a 3m shell.

so questions 1) did they improve the headphones for diving, can you here signals above bubbles??? 2) has anyone cut speakers out and put them in the 3m shell with the new excals????

this will be used for diving freshwater only

Upvote 1

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last set of newer production yellow excal headphones I looked at, had the piezo's all sealed in some sort of silicone like stuff. Was able to hear the stock ones underwater a lil better than another excal I had put aftermarkets on.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they are still the same, I've not messed with any new machines in several years. Here is a picture from several years ago.. (shows the yellows they used on the later blues and than when the excal ll came out the set it used) You want to keep all intact to keep them 100% water proof. I just cut the piezo plate (Black) to fit the 3M cups.

Excal green L Excal Blue Right Yellow HP.jpg

See if I can find the video I did on this mod....video was 10 years ago..WOW!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Tony Eisenhower. He's still building headphones and can advise you.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BONE CONDUCTION HEADPHONES WAVE OF THE FUTURE FOR DIVERS..

adventhunter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2022
Hi Guys,
CE02AEE4-CEFB-4768-AE32-D4F4E46B0F3F.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what’s the difference between the Yellow Koss headphones on the Excalibur 1000 and the Yellow headphones for Equinox. My cable is shot on the Excalibur.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Guys, View attachment 2037417
Can anyone tell me what’s the difference between the Yellow Koss headphones on the Excalibur 1000 and the Yellow headphones for Equinox. My cable is shot on the Excalibur.

Both are the same, other than one is hardwired, excalibur...and the other has a plug to fit the Nox. Both the same internally and externally. The yellows are famous for shredding. Something many have complained about and no one listens since 2005 when they first started putting them on the blue excalibur. I would recommend replacing with GGA's or Tony E's.

adventhunter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2022
Both are the same, other than one is hardwired, excalibur...and the other has a plug to fit the Nox. Both the same internally and externally. The yellows are famous for shredding. Something many have complained about and no one listens since 2005 when they first started putting them on the blue excalibur. I would recommend replacing with GGA's or Tony E's.
Thanks-Joe for getting back and answering my question. I’m new to the site , but following you and the guys off and on for years. I was to busy working my job. I only went detecting also off and on to clear my head and get some exercise. Now retired I pulled out the Excalibur and it has some issues, bad cables both ends, coil also. I sent Tony a email today asking how much his new headphones go for. Waiting for him to get back to me. I called the Minelab tech center in PA. , they want big bucks to repair these machines. The tech gave me a ball park number of around $400.00 to repair/replace coil and headphones, plus to replace o-rings, and my machine is a virgin, never opened. I’ll probably try to do the work myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks-Joe for getting back and answering my question. I’m new to the site , but following you and the guys off and on for years. I was to busy working my job. I only went detecting also off and on to clear my head and get some exercise. Now retired I pulled out the Excalibur and it has some issues, bad cables both ends, coil also. I sent Tony a email today asking how much his new headphones go for. Waiting for him to get back to me. I called the Minelab tech center in PA. , they want big bucks to repair these machines. The tech gave me a ball park number of around $400.00 to repair/replace coil and headphones, plus to replace o-rings, and my machine is a virgin, never opened. I’ll probably try to do the work myself.
Actually, that is a good price considering you are buying a new coil and headphones and replacing the O-rings.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Headphones wouldn’t be new, they would try to repair mine and replace the cable on them.
To be honest, cost-wise it is just as easy for Minelab to replace them as to repair them.

adventhunter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2022
Yes - I would also think so. But they offered to repair them with in that price. I haven’t gone diving in the past 20 years or so but I still want to have the option. They are a simple device.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes - I would also think so. But they offered to repair them with in that price. I haven’t gone diving in the past 20 years or so but I still want to have the option. They are a simple device.
If your handy with fixing things around the house, and older cars it might be easier to do yourself. I've guided a few threw replacing O-rings, and all of the cables. You do have to open the machine for the coil cable repair and de-solder then re-solder. That would be the hardest project. I can give you a parts list if needed. I do have a few video's on tips also. Of all machines the excalibur I think is the easiest to repair, but at 400.oo and the warranty of using it diving..it maybe worth it with the peace of mind. Let me know..

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't had much luck with the Grey Ghosts but I have Eisenhower headphones on my CTX and they are loud and real comfortable

Reactions: OBN

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like OBN said, with ML doing the work you have the warranty, if you do the work and it leaks then it is on you. Just be careful, the etchings on the motherboard are thinner than human hair and easy to damage or destroy.

Reactions: OBN

adventhunter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2022
Like OBN said, with ML doing the work you have the warranty, if you do the work and it leaks then it is on you. Just be careful, the etchings on the motherboard are thinner than human hair and easy to damage or destroy.
I am handy with the electronic work but you have me thinking now about have a warranty also, the just in case factor is worth the piece of mind. Well I have a decision to make. The money is getting tight these days.

Thank you gentlemen for the help.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am handy with the electronic work but you have me thinking now about have a warranty also, the just in case factor is worth the piece of mind. Well I have a decision to make. The money is getting tight these days.

Thank you gentlemen for the help.
Was just giving you something to consider... On the headphones, I worked in Minelab repair center and Kellyco repair center for about 5 years, the stock headphones were cheaper to replace than repair with a new cable due to the man hours and stock cost. Repairs came with a 6-month warranty, if they were going to leak they leaked before then.

Good luck sir.....

adventhunter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2022
Was just giving you something to consider... On the headphones, I worked in Minelab repair center and Kellyco repair center for about 5 years, the stock headphones were cheaper to replace than repair with a new cable due to the man hours and stock cost. Repairs came with a 6-month warranty, if they were going to leak they leaked before then.

Good luck sir.....

Good luck sir.....
Actually, that is a good price considering you are buying a new coil and headphones and replacing the O-rings.
Hi Treasure_Hunter,

Adventhunter here-after reading through my last postings, I have a question for you, am I breaking any rules in my postings. I don’t feel I‘m bashing anyone or anyones equipment , I‘m just trying to find out the different ways from members with the experience that they have repairing their own equipment in the past which I going through now. When I write a post I keep getting notifications that I my be breaking the rules.

Just looking for your opinion.
Thank you,
Adventhunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treasure_Hunter,

Adventhunter here-after reading through my last postings, I have a question for you, am I breaking any rules in my postings. I don’t feel I‘m bashing anyone or anyones equipment , I‘m just trying to find out the different ways from members with the experience that they have repairing their own equipment in the past which I going through now. When I write a post I keep getting notifications that I my be breaking the rules.

Just looking for your opinion.
Thank you,
Adventhunter
You haven't broken any that I have seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread