Excalibur 10" coil VS Excalibur WOT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having owned both I will take a 15 inch any day, a lot more depth and a lot more coverage. I could never go back to a 10" coil, especially for beaches, I tried and gave it up after 2 hours to never return again.

I hunt in the water with no problem, I have found several pieces of tiny gold under a gram......

When your hunting beaches you want to cover as much area as possible.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not necessarily a beach hunter, but I'd second Treasure Hunter's thoughts. The sand is soft, and there is a lot of it....plus being sand things will settle to depths quickly. I'm thinking you can't have enough depth and coverage area when on the beach, my vote would be for the 15" WOT.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both of the other post, coverage and depth. However, depending on where you hunt conditions can come into play that can make using the large coil tough sometimes, to the point that it can either lose its effectiveness or drain you physically. A harness can and does help in many situations but when the currents are stiff and swirling and the bottom is uneven then things can sometimes turn the other way, the increased control and sensitivity of the smaller coil holding the advantage. Noway can I use my larger coil on iron infested beaches, as they can quickly turn that way sometimes in certain areas after periods of strong tides, etc. I am a HUGE advocate of retaining the ability to change coils when needed.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all the above posters. It is best to be able to change coils for the conditions we face. About all the manufacturers that make detectors have the coils hard wired. I guess mainly cause of perceived problems from newbies that don't know how to not cross thread the connectors.
Arms.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread