What's new

Excalibur II 800 or 1000 ?

mrcolin2u

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
76
Reaction score
194
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Fisher CZ20 with an 8"coil for over 10 years and I am ready to purchase an excal II because I think it will handle the black sand better than the CZ here in So California.
I also hunt frequently in chest high water in the caribbean islands and I was wondering if there is considerably more drag with the 10" coil on the excal?
Also, how difficult is pinpointing with an excal?
Regards
Colin
 
Upvote 0
MrColin
I have two of the Excal II 1000s, although I have never used the 8" I have never had an issue with the 10". I have used it from dry sand to chest deep water and have never noticed any drag issues in the water. The coil doesn't try to float at all which is nice also. As far as pinpointing, with a little practice it's very easy. I think the biggest problem you will see people complain about with the Excal is that the stock shaft is not very comfortable (causes arm fatigue) after awhile, the stock shaft is actually designed more for diving use. Everyone either buys or makes a straight shaft setup that relocates the battery pack and control unit behind and above your elbow. This virtually counterbalances the unit and totally eliminates the fatigue issues. I have hunted with mine all day with no issues after making the shaft change. The unit is very stable and goes pretty deep when adjusted right, it also nulls automatically on any iron which saves a lot of unnecessary digging.
I have been very pleased with them. Hope this info helps.

Welcome to the forum and HH
 
The Excal is fine with the 10" coil and I have had no trouble in the surf or out in deeper water as I've dived with it too. The coil doesn't want to float but is not heavy for dry sand work. I never need to use the Pinpoint mode to locate my target as I slide my foot near the coil and put the scoop along side for digging. Changing to PP mode and back slows you down. I like the straight shaft but I don't like to mount the controls on the shaft but hang them from my neck. The cable is taped down along the side of the shaft to cut water resistance. Course while diving I use a different set up so the cable can't get caught on something. With the straight shaft I hated to have to keep sliding the arm in and out of the arm cuff when I would dig a target where I might need two hands.
 
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I think I'll go with the 10"coil.
Regards
Colin
 
Hello everyone and happy New Years... im thinking of buying an excalibur ll is it the right choice i like detecting the dry sand & the wet sand please help thank you..
 
Boxing63, If you aren't going underwater at the beach the Sovereign GT is the better detector and sells for less too. Also the Excal II seems to have a few problems right now with stability or something affecting its performance.

The Sov GT has more features for less money. For one thing if can hunt with Iron Mask on or off. Has pinpoint in zero motion all metal, All metal motion and other features the Excal II does not have. Do a search here on the Sov GT and read what Treasure_Hunter and Max of VA beach have to say.

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt :read2:

It can also be hip mounted to save weight on the arm by hanging it from your neck or belt. :coffee2:
 

Attachments

  • Sovereign GT face.webp
    Sovereign GT face.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 839
  • Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 837
i recently added a excal 800 as backup for my excal2. i didnt think i would end up using it much.

jus a backup o have ready.

while trying it out i found gold x2.

and believe it or not there are sometimes when u dont want to dig as deep

i think it a bit shallower but slightly more sens to small gold.

im anxious to do a chain test between the 2. but dont have a gold chain with.

SO I NEED TO FIND ONE !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom