Excellent hunt Yields 7 coins! and more colonial goodies!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get out yesterday with my dad to take him to a new water spot. He has dug in the water before and has done well, but this is a different kind of digging and he was using a new machine. We started out paddling to the spot and seeing some bald eagles along the way - always a good omen. After a quick demo on his machine, we were both off and running. It actually was a slow start until a few musket balls began to show up. Finally a button and then a few buckle pieces.

A short time later I scored with cob#1 and not too long after cob#2 popped up. I had been due for another coin as I missed out on my last trip and two early on had me in good spirits.

The day kept going and while dad was digging iron and other tid bits, I had not seen him dig a keeper relic yet. I kept digging a few more musket balls and the occasional small shot and pistol ball. Finally we began to work along the bank and just as I said "I don't think much will be this way" followed by a "after I dig this copper" after I heard a screaming signal. I honestly felt it was a copper signal but fully expected it to be a piece of junk. A few seconds later and I was holding coin #3 for the day (1834 matron head Large Cent). I began to feel pretty guilty for dad, that was until he walked five feet above me and dug 1, 2, 3, & 4 large cents in one hole!

The man dug all day without hardly a relic and than in one hole passed me on the coin count for the day. Total for the day was 7 coins, a stellar day and very fun! I always enjoy spending time with dad digging and this was just another fun trip.

Other finds for the day for me were 16 musket balls, a nice early two-piece button, civil war eagle button, tudor rose cuff, early complete buckle and the early "intentionally" twisted buckled. You can clearly see where it was twisted and broke...love personal items like that. I also dug the engineers ruler hinge (thought that was coin#4 for me while digging). Dad's take for the day - 4 matron head Large Cents - that is all!

I can't wait to get back to this spot again.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1,016 KB · Views: 255
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    935.2 KB · Views: 325
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 241
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 200
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 33
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Dan. I love that you and your pops share a passion for this hobby. Maybe when your little girl gets older she'll be right there next to you.

Ha if I took her to the place this came from my wife would divorce me...but I know what you mean. I've been tagging along with my dad since I was 8 or 9.

Hope all is well.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Killer hunt Dan. Congrats to your dad on the copper spill. Really like that eagle button, always cool to see how well they are preserved in the water.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread