Excellent hunt Yields 7 coins! and more colonial goodies!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get out yesterday with my dad to take him to a new water spot. He has dug in the water before and has done well, but this is a different kind of digging and he was using a new machine. We started out paddling to the spot and seeing some bald eagles along the way - always a good omen. After a quick demo on his machine, we were both off and running. It actually was a slow start until a few musket balls began to show up. Finally a button and then a few buckle pieces.

A short time later I scored with cob#1 and not too long after cob#2 popped up. I had been due for another coin as I missed out on my last trip and two early on had me in good spirits.

The day kept going and while dad was digging iron and other tid bits, I had not seen him dig a keeper relic yet. I kept digging a few more musket balls and the occasional small shot and pistol ball. Finally we began to work along the bank and just as I said "I don't think much will be this way" followed by a "after I dig this copper" after I heard a screaming signal. I honestly felt it was a copper signal but fully expected it to be a piece of junk. A few seconds later and I was holding coin #3 for the day (1834 matron head Large Cent). I began to feel pretty guilty for dad, that was until he walked five feet above me and dug 1, 2, 3, & 4 large cents in one hole!

The man dug all day without hardly a relic and than in one hole passed me on the coin count for the day. Total for the day was 7 coins, a stellar day and very fun! I always enjoy spending time with dad digging and this was just another fun trip.

Other finds for the day for me were 16 musket balls, a nice early two-piece button, civil war eagle button, tudor rose cuff, early complete buckle and the early "intentionally" twisted buckled. You can clearly see where it was twisted and broke...love personal items like that. I also dug the engineers ruler hinge (thought that was coin#4 for me while digging). Dad's take for the day - 4 matron head Large Cents - that is all!

I can't wait to get back to this spot again.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1,016 KB · Views: 254
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    935.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 240
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 199
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 33

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your dad just want you to have some fun before he out coin'd you!
It is awesome you two hunt together, that ranks as gold!

Lots of nice relic finds! Nice silver score! Button sure has a lot of gilt on it.
The twisted buckle looks like it was made into a hook of some kind?
Quite a bunch of lead you got too!
Very nice hunt you guys! Congrats!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
VERY cool finds Dan:icon_thumleft:..zap them cobs with a bit of electrolysis.

Super you get to hunt with Dad!

GOD Bless

Chris

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot I reckon! What a nice pile of finds.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A fantastic hunt by anyone's standards!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HGD SEE YOU HIT THE JACKPOT AGAIN,REAAL COOLS ASSORTMENT YOU GOT THERE 1700S ALL THE WAY,VANZUTPHEN

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! This is something many people can only dream of! :treasurechest::notworthy:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter how old we get "Dad" always has to step up and show us young whippersnappers what's what. Congrats on a great hunt.

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE... this is why I take the time to visit this website... It gives me the mindset of hunting and finding that one thing. The one thing that just triggers every curious nerve in your body. Then when it's visually available, your HAPPY level, well--- that determines how big your smile is....:hello2:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fine hunt !!!! :thumbsup:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic day with your Dad. I always enjoy seeing the sparkling condition of your water finds, especially the old coppers with very little deterioration. Dan, how do you come to believe the coins ended up lost in the water? Was this an old swimming hole?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic day with your Dad. I always enjoy seeing the sparkling condition of your water finds, especially the old coppers with very little deterioration. Dan, how do you come to believe the coins ended up lost in the water? Was this an old swimming hole?

Some of these are actually different sites, but all were sites of occupation (wharfs, towns, landings, camps) that allowed for much to fall and wash in.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a stellar day of digging. I hope the LC you dug was one of the ones in better condition....:laughing7: a couple of those still have a lot of meat left on them. Two cobs as well. Awesome hunt bud. Congrats to you and your dad.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24.jpg 1keep-up-the-good-work.jpg
banner vote from me