What's new

Explanatiion of why it is so hard to ID Civil War bullets!

Monty

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
10,752
Reaction score
170
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time after time I see suspected CW bullets posted in What Is It with just a picture and nothing else. Usually a person gets several answers and the true type of bullet is only marginally identified. So, this is why.

According to the book "Civil War Projectiles II" by McKee and Mason Jr, at the beginning of the war issued arms were scarce, especially in the south. Many soldiers furnished their own rifles and ammo until both the Union and the Confederacy began purchasing rifles and ammunition from abroad. Only in the later part of the war was guns and ammo pretty much standardized for both factions. They estimate, and have identified over 370 different types of firearms in 65 different calibers that were used in the Civil War. The calibers ran from .22 to .858 caliber. Also, during the war the Union purchased over one billion rounds of ammo in various calibers from countries abroad. The Condederacy purchased some 200 million rounds of ammo from over seas countries. This does not even take into account the millions of bullets that were produced by individuals or by armories of both sides.

So, that is why bullets of the era are so hard to identify exactly. And that is why it is so important to furnish several different views of the bullets as well as width and height as well as weight if at all possible. The more information you are able to give, the more precisely the bullets can be identified. Monty
 
:o

Sounds like we need a separate thread for this Monty :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Keep up the good work Monty.
 
Upvote 0
:coffee2:

I have some massive lead bullets, that could have been the type that were supplied for the CW, I will post some later :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Time after time I see suspected CW bullets posted in What Is It with just a picture and nothing else. Usually a person gets several answers and the true type of bullet is only marginally identified. So, this is why.

According to the book "Civil War Projectiles II" by McKee and Mason Jr, at the beginning of the war issued arms were scarce, especially in the south. Many soldiers furnished their own rifles and ammo until both the Union and the Confederacy began purchasing rifles and ammunition from abroad. Only in the later part of the war was guns and ammo pretty much standardized for both factions. They estimate, and have identified over 370 different types of firearms in 65 different calibers that were used in the Civil War. The calibers ran from .22 to .858 caliber. Also, during the war the Union purchased over one billion rounds of ammo in various calibers from countries abroad. The Condederacy purchased some 200 million rounds of ammo from over seas countries. This does not even take into account the millions of bullets that were produced by individuals or by armories of both sides.

So, that is why bullets of the era are so hard to identify exactly. And that is why it is so important to furnish several different views of the bullets as well as width and height as well as weight if at all possible. The more information you are able to give, the more precisely the bullets can be identified. Monty


You also didn't take in the account of poorly photographed and hand-drawn posted questions in regards to dug bullets. Kidding, kinda.
Damn fine explanation, very informative. Never heard of the .858 caliber, gonna Google that after this post. Might have to check on the book you mentioned, as well.
Carl
 
Upvote 0
Hi Monty, I have what I think is a Civil War or Mexican War Solid Shot/Artillery Shell. I started a thread about a week ago on this forum and have not received many comments. Not even many guesses. I took plenty of pictures and described it well but still no comments. Is this because Solid Shots are harder to identify? Or do I need some other information? Thanks, Kris
 
Upvote 0
KJW said:
Hi Monty, I have what I think is a Civil War or Mexican War Solid Shot/Artillery Shell. I started a thread about a week ago on this forum and have not received many comments. Not even many guesses. I took plenty of pictures and described it well but still no comments. Is this because Solid Shots are harder to identify? Or do I need some other information? Thanks, Kris

I looked for hours online to match that arty shell... had no luck. :P
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Great info Monty. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
MM
 
Upvote 0
KJW, the book I mentioned also had a section on CW artillery and I looked but could not find anything remotely like the pictures of your particular find. I saw some that were close, but they were just enough different to say they weren't the same. I don't know that much about artillery, but I imagine there were dozens of different types of cannon in the CW much the same as bullets. If it is from a Mexican cannon, I do not know of a source to ID it. You may have to do a lot of investigating on your own and even at that you may not ever definately find it. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
KJW, the book I mentioned also had a section on CW artillery and I looked but could not find anything remotely like the pictures of your particular find. I saw some that were close, but they were just enough different to say they weren't the same. I don't know that much about artillery, but I imagine there were dozens of different types of cannon in the CW much the same as bullets. If it is from a Mexican cannon, I do not know of a source to ID it. You may have to do a lot of investigating on your own and even at that you may not ever definately find it. Monty

Thanks Monty, I will move on to something else and let this go for a while. I appreciate all of the time you spent on it and hope I can help you out someday. I am going to start hunting the ground for buried treasures next year as soon as spring gets here. This site is pretty cool, I found the Meteorite Forum and can't wait to start searching for those and anything else cool I can find. :icon_thumright: Kris
 
Upvote 0
I looked for the shell as well. I'm not sure it is a shell. It's hollow therefore it's not a solid shot. It's hollow to hold powder but no fuze that I could see so not a timed shell. With the side groves and the "decorative" top, it may be the doorstop.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom