Explorer II Iron Mask...newbie question

npaisnel

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2005
Hi all

After about 15 years of doing a bit of detecting round the farm fields, and the local beaches with my old C-Scope machines (TR-400, 440 and borrowed Promet) thought I would buy a new machine. Tried a Viking VK30, but saw reviews of the EXII and had a brief chance to try one while in England, and had to have one. Also took a 5 inch and 14.5 inch coil that comes with the Pro pack.

Totally happy with the setting of the machine, Learn/edit functions etc etc., coming to grips with the sounds, and at the moment still in the "dig all" phase, so I can get to identify what the machine is telling me. Now have huge collection of ring pulls and coke can bottoms!!

But

One question about the Iron Mask mode.

Is it just a quick way of setting up the discrim screen, or is the machine working/processing the signals in a different way.
What I mean by this is:
If you were to copy the pattern of the default Iron Mask -6 setting to the discrim screen, would it give exactly the same result?

Cheers

Neil P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm No Expert by Any Means on This, But From My understanding of "Iron Mask"? vs? "Discriminate"

? I'd have to say No.

As Far as I'm aware, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, Iron Mask will Filter out More Natural Irons (Hot Rocks, etc.) then Disc. set as low. and may also filter out more Iron Bits from Rusted Nails, Tin, Etc. While Still Finding The Larger pieces.

? and will do with? a more? steady "Non Erratic" operating tone.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Iron mask helps you to pick up good targets which are close alongside iron objects, it also runs in it s own independant system.
Not in conjunction with the discrimination patterns. IF you run it on say minus 8 it is blanking out half of the screen .The more minus the less iron content of the targets are blanked out. A minus setting of minus 16 makes the machine more sensitive to small non iron items eg small gold chains and tiny jewelry .
I hope I havent confused you more seeya Neilo

OP
OP
N

npaisnel

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2005
OK, cheers
Seems to make sense.

Already found an early silver with it this morning, in my own back garden!! Has a celtic chaped cross on one side, the other side too dirty too see clearly at the moment. Someone told me it is around the 15-1600's but this is totally unverified. But to find anything like this in my own garden, when I have never found anything in it in the past..;...what a machine

A

AK in KY

Iron Mask is just as you said. Only a quick way to disc out iron. -Minus 16 would run and opoerate exactly like a blank screen on Smartfind. Absolutely no difference.

AK in KY

OP
OP
N

npaisnel

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2005
I have just had a response direct from Minelab regarding this question. It would seem that Iron Mask is just a quick way of setting up a screen pattern on the disc screen. See response below:

Hello Neil,

Sorry for the delay but I have in Des Dunne?s absence been trying via Australia to answer your question and it seems that, and I am quoting from our design team ?it does not matter if you set Iron Mask at a certain level or if you copy it into a pattern and use that pattern the results should still be the same? Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread