Platypus coil for Explorer 2

rhhideout

Greenie
Mar 19, 2005
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer E-TRAC
Hi,
I've recently purchased the Platypus coil for the Explorer 2.Can anyone tell me the advantage of the elliptical Platypus over the standard 10 inch round coil that comes the Explorer 2?I know the Elliptical coils have a tendancy to have resistance over the ground more than the round coils.A little car wax helps me on that.I was reading somewhere that the Double D coils do not go as deep as the coplaner coils.Thanks for any help given.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Rhhideout
The platypus coil I have had mine for about six months and have found the performance to be excellent. I also have the 15inch Coiltek and I think in performance there isnt much between them. I am in a club and recently we went to an old oval which I thought we had cleaned out last time we were there. Wrong this time armed with the Platipus I found another 52 coins some well over a foot down.
I had other detectors brand ?owners e.g. xlt and garret, trying there detectors over targets I was picking up in the ground and there was no response.
The platypus is Double D coil ?designed with the new pro series technology, which has also been added to the gold coil series for the SD and GPs.
Andy Sabisch has done an interesting write up on the coil try Profile Prospecting Supplies for more info.
I found the shape of the coil helps balance the detector, the original seems front heavy where as this being mounted more centrally is a better set up . Pinpointing sweet spot is dead centre directly below the shaft.The signals of targets come out sharper than the original coil. I am also able to run at higher manual sensitivity settings giving smoother running and more depth.The shape of the coil does help seperate good targets from rubbish in cluttered areas plus in bushy areas around roots of tree etc it is helpfull.
I have used mine on the beach in black sand and ?salt water and have found it runs smoother and deeper ?than the original coil. ?
I also have a Sunray probe on my Explorer 2 and with the Platypus coil added I feel I have the best detector set up available on the market today.
Well I think I will go out and do some detecting Seeya NEILO ?;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread