Exploring My Great Grandmothers House: Pocket Watches and Swords

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Was just looking at your post and seen your sword was very simular to one I bought at an estate auction about ten years ago. It was made by M.Cully in columbus, Ohio. I thought it was made for renacting. It also has someones name ( Sellers ) etched on one side of the blade. Thanks for your post, I learned something today. HH Kevin

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Was just looking at your post and seen your sword was very simular to one I bought at an estate auction about ten years ago. It was made by M.Cully in columbus, Ohio. I thought it was made for renacting. It also has someones name ( Sellers ) etched on one side of the blade. Thanks for your post, I learned something today. HH Kevin

Neat story! No, thank you for your post! Have a great day!

OP
OP
O

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is quite possible that the Masonic Sword belonged to someone on your Great Great Grandfather's side of the family, so your Great Grandmother is a good place to start in trying to find out who, which Masonic Lodge and which Masonic Order. Ask other family members on your Great Grandmother's side of the family and/or do the Genealogy on the family to document the Family Tree as well but if no luck, check with the closet Masonic Lodge as they may be able to help. The Provenance of the Sword (who it belonged to, his status in the Masonic Lodge and Order as well as which Lodge and Order) can have a significant effect it's the value. The problem is with determining Provenance without a family member that can remember or records, is that many of the Masonic Lodges and Orders are now defunct, having closed many years ago. I had one fairly similar to your's and although I found out who the owner of it was (a Pharmacist in New York), I could not find what Lodge he belonged to or the Order. I purchased the sword at a combined Consignment/Estate Auction for around $75 (been a few years) and managed to sell it for $250 at a local Gun Show. With excellent Provenance, some Masonic Swords fetch fairly high prices.

Frank

The sword definitely belongs to a family member on my mother's side. Also, it's funny that you suggest that because I have been in the process of making a family tree recently. I have as far back to my Great Great Great Grandmother, on my mothers side. I will have to gather some phone numbers of the local masonic lodges. Thank you for all of these suggestions. It is greatly appreciated.

nycwalter

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man don't sell your family history. Youll regret it when you get older.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your two watches are the basic Eligin watch style. Any thing signed with a name is a much better quality movement. Prices are in the $75.00 range if they are running. Not running they are more than likely parts watches as the main reason for them to quit running is a broken balance staff. The cost to repair exceeds the value of the watch. Both cases are clad in "Silverode" or basically Nickel (no silver content whatso ever) In the back of one case you can see Warranted 10 years. You will often see that with a gold stamp 14K etc.. For those wanting the information, With pocket watches, when ever you see the word warranted or Guaranteed 10yrs 25yrs. THey are saying that the 14K clad will not wear through to the base metal in that timeframe. THe 14K stamp does not make it gold!

I have over 100 pocket watches. THey are beautiful and when you wind them all up the room rattles. Keep them.

Cheers friend

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of work went into that sword. It looks to be in great shape. Are the handles IVORY? It had to be passed down threw the years or it's a not so old of a sword. I hope the best for you. Love stuff like this.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knights Templar swords usually sell for between $100-$500, depending on condition and the style of the sword itself. The large majority of them sell for less than $200, I would put yours in that same category.

Damnails

Dec 2, 2014
Shenadoah Valley, Va.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, modifiedTesaro Cibola, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visit G-grandma often, ask lots of questions and record her answers, take plenty of pics! One of these days these things along with the watches and sword will be invaluable to you, your kids & on. Money comes and goes.... Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread