Extra steps for waterproofing ctx3030?

basswacker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Does anyone have any recommendations before I take it in the water? I've hunted with it over a year on land but think I'm finally ready to let it get wet. Someone said Vaseline or divers grease around the battery seal? I have the grey ghost water headphones other than putting those on I guess it's ready to go? Just a bit nervous for some reason.....guess it's the screen and speaker.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never use Vaseline on any rubber O rings. Instead use diver's silicone grease.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

basswacker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks! Do you think it is necessary?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a discussion about the 3030 leaking going on in the Beach and Shallow Water forum.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think any grease would hold sand on the ring making it worse.
If minelab wanted you to grease it the would of told you to.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had mine under on 3 different trips for several hours completely stock. A really good look over before and after each use is a great idea. Especially if your headed underwater.

OP
OP
B

basswacker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for all the replies, I chickened out a and took my excal under.....I used the CTX in the shallows and got a lot of false chatter, didn't mess with settings because time was short....maybe next trip.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the O-ring and once it is in place and closed up, no sand touches the O-ring. Opening the MD at the beach is a no no. Tesoro used to supply silicone grease with the water detectors. But Minelab people might be to cheap to toss a tiny tub into the package.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think any grease would hold sand on the ring making it worse.
If minelab wanted you to grease it the would of told you to.

You apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the O-ring and once it is in place and closed up, no sand touches the O-ring. Opening the MD at the beach is a no no. Tesoro used to supply silicone grease with the water detectors. But Minelab people might be to cheap to toss a tiny tub into the package.

Tesoro still does supply several packets of o-ring lube. I always re-apply after a weekend trip and a freshwater bath. I don't know what Minelab recommends, but it's just a good idea on any o-ring if you want it to seal properly.

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if bringing along a can of compressed air would be a good idea to blow off absolutely anything in the groove or on the gasket...?

I still remember bringing my CTX into the water for the first time.. I think I was more careful with it than bringing my one year old into the pool for the first time...

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basswacker be sure to update the software. The new Seawater? Saltwater? setting works great. Not sure which one it is. :) Dive grease is good as Sandman said.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread