Extreme silver find at grocery store bank

tand324

Sep 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got back from my local grocery store with a lot of half dollars. As I started to open the rolls up, every single roll was entirely silver, only a couple of clad. I was so excited that I ran through all of the rolls. A total of 335 40% silver half dollars, and 2 90% Kennedy half dollars. Pictures soon.

I returned to the bank to see if they had any more but the didn't so I got $40 in nickels and I found a 1943 P 35% silver. Needless to say, a quite successful trip the bank

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. What year nickels have silver in them ? I have some older ones, was it just the war years when they were short on nickel?

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s.c.shooter said:
Congrats. What year nickels have silver in them ? I have some older ones, was it just the war years when they were short on nickel?
[/quo
te]

i think 42-45

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet luck wish my bank got old stuff they said they can only get the new coins and bills

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Wartime Silver Alloy Nickel 1942-1945.
56% copper,
35% silver
and 9% manganese.
Letter P used for the first time to indicate the change of alloy eliminating the use of nickel for war material.
Awsome find!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the letters were mint marks = p = philly ( first time the letter p mint mark for philly was used was on the 1942 35% silver war nickles) d = denver and s =san francisco --the letters were large and on the rear on all the silver war time nickles 1942 - 1945 -- the 5 cent piece we know today as a nickle became comman because in the civil war silver "half dimes" (5 cent in value) and 3 cent silvers were hoarded --so the the us govt came out with "nickle based" 3 cent and 5 cent coins to prevent them being hoarded ---after the war the 3 cent coins died out but the 5 cent "nickle" based coins lived on --thus the term "nickle" was used for them since there wasn't any silver in them anymore. (until WW2 that is)

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!
Go bury those in the parks for us to find. :laughing7:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Just so you don't get confused, a bunch of 1942 nickels were made in nickel. They have the small (or no) mintmarks. The silver ones from 42 to 45 will have the large P-D-S over the dome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread