Extremely frustrating ebay purchase, anything I can do?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

So recently I made a purchase off of ebay, like I frequently do, of a box lot of vintage hats. It was an auction with a BIN, the price was right so I went for the buy it now. The seller had low feedback, but I have actually had pretty good luck with most low feedback sellers because they are trying to make a name for themselves, so i figured it wasn't an issue. Anyways, I pay, receive a tracking number a few days later, and I proceed to wait. Today, two weeks later (after checking the tracking number several times and seeing no progress, as in it had never been shipped), I go to my purchase history to find the item and send the seller a message, only to find that my money had been refunded. AND, here's the kicker, the hats are now back up for sale, and $20 more expensive.

Needless to say I'm pissed, I sent the seller a firm but not rude message asking what the heck is going on, but I really have no idea what to do, mostly because I really want the item. I sure as heck am not going to pay $20 more for it, and I won it fair and square last time, but there isn't really any way to enforce getting the item.

Any suggestions on what to do? A blistering negative feedback is definitely in order, but I feel like the blatant breakage of ebay policy deserves something more. Can I report them to ebay?

Thanks in advance, any and all advice or commentary is appreciated.

I am not a big fan of people jumping to give a negative, but I'd have to say, it is warranted in this case. I'd be pissed too if I were you

If you really want the item and can play with the $20 (as you'll just need it as a 'holding fee' for the new listing), buy it from them again, then send a firm but professional message asking why they wouldn't sell to you the first time and why the price has been raised by $20, and if you could please have the item for the original price. Just don't threaten snitching, negative feedback, etc. If the seller is smart enough to read between the lines you should get the item for the original price. If not, just refuse to pay (you can do this many, many times without any real consequences) and give him a negative for the original transaction.

Edit: I guess this strategy hinges on whether or not they require immediate payment for their BIN's. If that's the case, leave a negative with a brief explanation of what happened, and that you don't know why they would refuse to sell to you and relist for $20. Maybe they'll try to appease you when they see how screwed they are starting out with that kind of feedback.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to wait and see if they respond, hopefully I can get them to at least be honest and say that they wanted more money for it. I am seriously considering buying it again and seeing what happens.

Maybe they'll try to appease you when they see how screwed they are starting out with that kind of feedback.

I would do this, but unfortunately (and I really should have checked this before I dealt with this seller, so this part is my fault) they already have 2 angry buyer negative feedbacks, so I don't think a third will bug them too much. My first instinct is telling me to just neg them and move on (I got my money back after all), but the fact that I really want the item that they have is making this a lot more difficult.

If the item is still a good buy with an extra $20 tacked on, go for it and then leave two negative feedbacks. Who knows what they'll try to pull with that kind of track record though. If it's a really desirable item I would still risk it, but plan on possibly having that money tied up. eBay will definitely side with you if they send a box full of crap (worst case scenario, really), and nothing to lose if they pull the refund/relist trick again.

Run like the wind from that seller. He sees you got his refund and bite on the additional $20.00 he could scam you further. Please give him a negative feedback because these are the people we need to get rid on eBay.

Put in an Ebay grievance.. It worked for me on something similar..

If you really want the item and can play with the $20 (as you'll just need it as a 'holding fee' for the new listing), buy it from them again, then send a firm but professional message asking why they wouldn't sell to you the first time and why the price has been raised by $20, and if you could please have the item for the original price. Just don't threaten snitching, negative feedback, etc. If the seller is smart enough to read between the lines you should get the item for the original price. If not, just refuse to pay (you can do this many, many times without any real consequences) and give him a negative for the original transaction.

Edit: I guess this strategy hinges on whether or not they require immediate payment for their BIN's. If that's the case, leave a negative with a brief explanation of what happened, and that you don't know why they would refuse to sell to you and relist for $20. Maybe they'll try to appease you when they see how screwed they are starting out with that kind of feedback.

You said "you can do this many, many times without any real consequences" when referring to purchasing an item, and then not paying. You do realize this creates unpaid item strikes, correct? I block buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the past 6 months and I know many other sellers on here have similar buyer requirements set up. Plus the seller can leave bad feedback comments (even though its technically a positive). Lastly, eBay will eventually suspend or terminate your account for that type of behavior...are these consequences worth it? Not in my eyes!!!

You said "you can do this many, many times without any real consequences" when referring to purchasing an item, and then not paying. You do realize this creates unpaid item strikes, correct? I block buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the past 6 months and I know many other sellers on here have similar buyer requirements set up. Plus the seller can leave bad feedback comments (even though its technically a positive). Lastly, eBay will eventually suspend or terminate your account for that type of behavior...are these consequences worth it? Not in my eyes!!!

You bring up a good point assuming he's going to keep using his primary account to repeatedly do this... and not any number of dummy accounts eBay makes it all too easy to set up. That wasn't clear in my response though.

just leave neg fb and move on!

you got your money back and life is too short...'pissing in the wind' comes to mind...

Leave a neg. Then, if you MUST have the item, buy it from a relative or friend's account. Then leave another neg.

I left a neg and moved on, there will be more good items. Not worth the time and frustration to try and get it. Thanks for all of the replies!

I would leave a negative feedback, then I would be on the phone with eBay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back