What's new

Extremely wierd piece of iron

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, When I first looked at this weird iron piece, I thought it might be a correctional horseshoe, but the rounded shape is not right for a shoe, plus it doesn't have any holes for the nails. The short squared piece on the bottom left in photo #1 appears to be a finished edge, and not broken. The top of the half circle looks broken. There is a oval glob on the back that is a finished piece. Any thoughts or ideas of what it is and/or a time period will certainly be appreciated.

I dug some really interesting items today; one being an 1857 Railroad Boxcar Seal. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,395993.0.html

Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronPiece1.webp
    IronPiece1.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 558
  • IronPiece2.webp
    IronPiece2.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 554
  • IronPiece3.webp
    IronPiece3.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 553
Bottom piece of a weathervane sprang to mind Breezie...though i admit i have no idea why!
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a broken stove part to me. So it would be a complete circle. The tab would slide under the stove top and a burner eye would sit in the middle. Is it cast iron, or forged? Stove would likely be cast. Can't think of another reason to have a tab on something.
 
Upvote 0
DirtDigler said:
Looks like a broken stove part to me. So it would be a complete circle. The tab would slide under the stove top and a burner eye would sit in the middle. Is it cast iron, or forged? Stove would likely be cast. Can't think of another reason to have a tab on something.

DD, thank you for your post, but I don't think it is a stove top piece for 2 reasons. It appears to be wrought iron and all of the cast iron stove tops I've seen had a lip built into the top of the stove to hold the solid circle stove eye.

Dano, I thought about a weather vane too, but could not come up with any configuration that would match how this is shaped.

I did a rough Photoshop of what it might have looked like completed; that is if it were symmetrical.

Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronPiece5.webp
    IronPiece5.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0
Breezie, as you may have already noticed... being raised a Southern Gentleman, I try particularly hard to assist metal-detecting women with ID-ing their finds.

But this time, I have to tell you I do not recognize the broken piece of iron you found.
 
Upvote 0
Bramble, Thanks for your input. I think your idea of an andiron part is right. I'm not sure it was round the way I photoshopped it the last pic, but will head out to the same area hopefully next weekend to see if I can find the remainder of it.

TCannonBG, being raised a Southern Lady, I graciously appreciate your time and honesty. Thanks! :wink: Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom