Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from one of my farmer friends saying he had plowed one of his fields. Although I have found two 18th century house sites in separate fields of his, all I have ever found in this particular field is a few squirrel rifle balls, a 1906 Barber quarter that was probably lost by a hunter, and dozens of shotgun shells. But having been plowed I figured the arrowhead potential had improved dramatically...

And it did :headbang:

Saw this bad boy laying in the dirt at the edge of the field under a big oak tree. Scooped it up with my shovel and walked over to where the farmer was on his tractor smoothing the field in preparation for planting. He said "I guess they were here after all"

Dirty Shoval.jpg Dirty Back.jpg

A nice atlatyl point or knife. Neat looking material, but amazing it survived almost 100% intact considering all the fracture flaws in the material.
Clean Front.jpgCleaned Back.jpg

I was only able to spend about an hour metal detecting before the heat drove me off and found nothing except more shotgun shells and some scrap bucket material.

Thanks for looking. Stay safe and hydrated out there!

Upvote 35
We have the same history in looking for points.
The new permission I received asked me if I had picked up any on the other permission beside him.
The landowner's uncle was always picking them up and the family has a nice collection of artifacts from the fields.
Then again he tilled-and now it's a no till world. Hard to see the dirt even with the dead crop waste laying on top.
So sadly no as the crop rotation and time hasn't been kind to me it seems.
Sorry to hear that it is getting so difficult to find them where you are. I have found three so far this year in three different fields. All the fields had been plowed at least 6-8 inches deep. I believe all of mine were random losses during hunting as there were no flakes around indicating and encampment or village. Two of mine were found while metal detecting, and one when I deliberately walked a field for about 45 minutes looking for points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back