OP
OP
Jusfieldreem2

Jusfieldreem2

Jul 6, 2023
Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your due diligence with the picture. The only thing you have not done is examine it in person, that makes all of the difference. I could be wrong there were other techniques used to make art or trade pieces that are perhaps lost now.
I will post another piece made using the same technique, tell me what you feel.

OP
OP
Jusfieldreem2

Jusfieldreem2

Jul 6, 2023
Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your perspective. We get a kick out of posts sometimes. I tend to forget that I had a decent level of pareidolia when I started too. I found 4 scrapers, a few points and a lot of hammer stones on my first try! After posting, I discovered I was full of the proverbial bologna. They were all just rocks. I agree, if you like a rock, for whatever reason, keep it. I have a pile of them in my rock garden. Thanks!
Good to hear you express yourself on the topic at hand. When you think about it art and artifacts are open to interpretation, yours and mine and all the folks that are in it in whatever capacity. One man's rock is another man's treasure agreed. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
Jusfieldreem2

Jusfieldreem2

Jul 6, 2023
Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread. Thanks! Hey OP, we all have a tendency to see from our past when ever we open our eyes.
Keep finding treasure. Every tool or cool looking rock is fun for me. I have had folks look at my "finds" on-line and spout out "just rocks, nothing there" SO many times....I just take it as part of my schooling as I move thru each season of life.

My wife and I both are 'artsy-fartsy' and see lots of cool images in rocks. When we see something we like, we haul it home. (if it is not too heavy) -- The metate pictured below, we leave that one there, it's kinda heavy!
I have to tell you, half the time, I do not "see" what my wife sees in her finds...and vice versa.
Each eye will find its own goodies.

Also appreciate learning about the "word" for when we "see" something. -- thanks Mr. Treasure Hunter.

vfm
I love to read the "word' too. Thanks!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pareidolia is interesting stuff. It shows the amazing capacity of the human brain combined with the brilliance of an imagination. The eyes send data to the brain, and it tries to find something familiar for us to identify it as.

Having limited hearing in one ear, and 100% deaf in the other, I often experience audio versions of pareidolia. My brain takes the sounds the ear gives it and tries to give me the best guess of what it heard..and it's often quite a departure from what they actually said.

Wife: "Did you heat that in the microwave?"
What I heard: "Did you put the cat in the microwave???? " :icon_scratch:

Took another long look at your first image...after about a minute I saw this:

sunfish_thumb.jpg

20230721_214220.jpg

My Sunfish vs. your Eyes Without a Face...:occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear you express yourself on the topic at hand. When you think about it art and artifacts are open to interpretation, yours and mine and all the folks that are in it in whatever capacity. One man's rock is another man's treasure agreed. Stay tuned!
Here is a clue, when you post rocks on multiple indian artifact forums and are told they are just rocks and your imagination by very experienced collectors on multiple artifact forums, they are just rocks.

You will never find any true artifacts because you continue to use your imagination to argue a simple rock, shaped and formed by mother nature, is an artifact when it is clearly just a rock instead of listening and trying to learn.

Nothing you have posted is any more than a natural rock, case closed!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please take your find to any higher-education institution with an anthropology, archeology, native studies, or antiquities department. You will then have a definitive answer, which by the way will be that it's just a rock.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP won't do that.... they never do
Agreed. It all comes down to does he want the truth, or is it more important to him that he's right?

lightspirt

Jul 26, 2023
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Spirit of the Universe
Perhaps this is a product of one or more materials combined. I discovered this piece a year ago.
Your first photo is very familiar to me. I believe it is legit Ancient art. I have seen that form done in different sizes in a state that i vacation at. Most will not see that or find it if they haven't done a lot of field work,where those people were present at that time. Look good to me.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lightspirt, I can only repeat my initial comment to the OP -- Please take all your finds to any higher-education institution with an anthropology, archeology, native studies, or antiquities department. You will then have definitive answers.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first photo is very familiar to me. I believe it is legit Ancient art. I have seen that form done in different sizes in a state that i vacation at. Most will not see that or find it if they haven't done a lot of field work,where those people were present at that time. Look good to me.
You DEF have the spirt, I mean spirit!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed. It all comes down to does he want the truth, or is it more important to him that he's right?

That's an interesting thought to ponder on. We live in a world today where so often "the truth" has become what people have deemed to be so, regardless of science, facts-in-evidence or recorded history.

I have to wonder what label history will apply to the first 30-40 years of the 21st century. In the last century the first 30 years were considered as "The Progressive Era", including "The Roaring 20's", followed by "The Great Depression", WW II, etc.

Maybe they'll call this period in time: "Fantasyland"..
bur2.gif

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious just how long you have been studying, finding, and collecting indian artifacts?

lightspirt

Jul 26, 2023
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Spirit of the Universe
Curious just how long you have been studying, finding, and collecting indian artifacts?
Oh ten years or so. Not Indian though is what i believe,much older. I dont collect them. Just photo them. If you think Christopher Columbus discovered America than its not going to make sense .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread