Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember reading an article about fake minelab GPX detectors but can't find it anymore. Anyway, a week ago I bought a pro find pinpointer off Amazon at normal cost. When it gets here it just feels pretty cheap. The boxing it's unusually poor in quality as well. It has a minelab shiny anti counterfeit sticker but it's not a holograph or anything, it's just a shiny foil. Could anyone post an up close of theirs on the pro find? Also, the threading on the battery cap is really poor quality and feels as though the pitch is off as it's extremely loose when screwing on. Thank you all in advance.

I'm looking at it and toying with it and it just seems extremely crappy. Also, if you give it a decent bump it just goes into screaming mode and won't shut off. I'm leaning towards fake. I'm thinking about reaching out to minelab, counterfeit CE crap is not a great thing.

Sorry to hear that. That's why we should buy from reputable dealers like here on t-net

I would contact Minelab and make them aware of this seller. I would think they would be interested. This type of thing costs companies a whole lot of money every year. Also costs their customers as well.

Kellyco has an in house Minelab technician who may be able to authenticate the pinpointer you purchased.
Contact Amazon and inquire as to where their Minelab products are coming from and if they are getting
other customer complaints.

There are lots of fake everything on both Amazon on eBay. I've been burned a couple of times on eBay.

If you have a Minelab dealer in your area, perhaps they'll check it out.

From the Minelab counterfeit page:
With this label, products can be easily verified as genuine. For your peace of mind, your nearest Minelab authorised dealer will easily be able to confirm authenticity by inspecting the security label through the special viewer. IT’S THAT SIMPLE!

Report your suspicions to Amazon. They may have had other reports about that seller. If you don't feel confident, return it.

IMG-20171219-WA0011.jpgIMG-20171219-WA0012.jpgIMG-20171219-WA0013.jpgIMG-20171219-WA0014.jpgIMG-20171219-WA0015.jpgIMG-20171219-WA0016.jpg

Hi this is my pro find. I bought it at a Minelab dealer here in South Africa. Hope these pictures help.

Cheers and Happy Hunting

ALWAYS buy from a CERTIFIED Minelab dealer - like our sponsors here on T-Net! :skullflag:

I took the serial number on your box from picture and called my contact in Minelab Chicago, that is a legitimate serial number, Jamie also said they do not know of any counterfeit pinpointers for sale. The counterfeits have all been high end detectors.

I took the serial number on your box from picture and called my contact in Minelab Chicago, that is a legitimate serial number, Jamie also said they do not know of any counterfeit pinpointers for sale. The counterfeits have all been high end detectors.

TH, the OP didnt post any photos. Those were from somebody else posting his real pinpointer and box, as a comparison, bought from an authorized dealer .

TH, the OP didnt post any photos. Those were from somebody else posting his real pinpointer and box, as a comparison, bought from an authorized dealer .
Yep I see that now Oops.. I thought he posted it.

Give the s# off the box to Minelab they can tell you if it is authentic, has to be one from the box, one on detector is abbreviated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back