Fame Or Infamy In Your Family? Yeah, Lets Brag

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any noteworthy family members? Close brushes with fame? Let's brag about it here just for fun. It's a rainy Saturday and I can't get out to detect so I'm bored. I'll start off with a couple of mine:

My brother Doug wrote a couple of award winning books, one of them about my mothers last 7 days in hospice care while dealing with breast cancer. The other is a fantasy/fiction novel that may be considered for a screenplay.

My favorite aunt Linda is a popular award winning artist/muralist from the midwest. As an art instructor, she teaches classes in watercolor, acrylic and drawing. Her paintings of the Daniel Boone Home in Defiance, MO are stunning and are on display there.

My 1st cousin has traveled the world playing bass guitar for a band called Modern Day Zero. They have toured with Green Day, Sammy Hagar, Guns & Roses, Nickelback, just to name a few. One of their songs, 'Spit You Out' was used on the sountrack for the indie movie, 'Werewolf, the Devils Hound' in '07. Their most popular hit, 'Sick Inside' was played constantly on rock stations throughout the midwest.

Then there's me, :dontknow:

It REALLY needs to stop raining!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got nothing! No famous people in my family. I do have an older friend of mine that is a cousin to Don Mclain, the miss american pie song singer.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's SOMETHING! Classic tune! :icon_thumright:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but not technicaly family, but I suppose its somthing.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I am kin to John Tyler, I believe the 10th President of the US 1841-1845. I dont wanna brag but he was the 1st President to go through the impeachment proccess, he did serve his one entire term before runnin with his tail between his legs. :icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sure been one of the nastiest winter's on record as far as I can remember. After a ton of snow, I have battened down the hatches from the rain that won't give up until Tuesday and that will be after dropping 4" of water.

The only think interesting in my family that would remotely come close is from my great-great grandfather, he was Col. Sampsom in the Boer Wars. My grandfather who fought in WWI has the noble distinction of being being dead 7 times!!! After a while my grandmother disregarded the death notices. Fought in the infantry, Calvary, Spad tail gunner. Had the top of his finger bitten off by a German in a bunker and was shot in the head and got a cool steel plate put in. When he came to the U.S. he did many of the horseback riding stunts for Tom Mix.

I would love to say my cousin was the inspiration for "Alfred E. Newman", but that would be pushing the envelope :laughing9:

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
I don't think I do,but Billy da kid was supposed to have hidden out at The Beckwith farm after the L.C.wars........Sareing a last name is as close as I can get..lol

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
Re: Fame Or Infamy In Your Family? Yeah, Lets Brag/ MY WIFE , MY HERO

6 YRS AGO I LOST BOTH MY PARENTS TO CANCER. BOTH GOT CANCER ABOUT THE CAME TIME, AND BOTH DIED 6 WEEKS APART. MY HERO IS MY WIFE. MY PARENTS GAVE MY WIFE HELL DUE TO MY WIFE WOULDNT BEND OVER AND KISS THERE BUTTS. OTHER WORDS THERE WAS A LITTLE TENTION BETWEEN MY WIFE AND MY PARENTS. WHEN MY PARENTS BOTH CAME DOWN WITH CANCER, MY WIFE PUT ASIDE HER FEELINGS AND HELP DRIVE BOTH MY PARENTS BACK AND FORTH FOR CEMO TREATMENT FOR SEVERAL YRS BEFORE THERE DEATH. MY MOTHER BECAME VERY CLOSE TO MY WIFE IN HER LAST DAYS OF HER LIFE. SO TO SAY HEROS. MY WIFE IS MY BEST FRIEND AND HERO :notworthy:

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stories so far! :icon_thumleft:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David is a family member and becoming an accomplished author.(Made the bestseller list already) The fifth book in this series is due out soon and there is movie talk. These are adult sci-fi. If you decide to start reading them, read them in order, Event was the first. He is supposed to be coming out for our big bar-b-que on the 4th of July and pound down a couple brewskies, polish off some pickled eggs and maybe do a little fishing.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=author-navigational&resnum=5&ved=0CBsQsAMwBA

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stonewall Jackson was a distant Cousin.......No other claim to fame...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the rest of the family's claim to fame. Not really. Lots in the past famous or infamous in their own time, but almost forgotten now. Tex Ritter, texastee? Cooool! I got to meet and visit with him back when I was 16. Got an autographed record, I think, somewhere.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my maternal Grandmother's side: Daniel Boone and William Jennings Bryan.

On my paternal Grandmother's side, it's been said there's a relation to Mary Todd Lincoln.

Scott

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
spartacus53 said:
The only think interesting in my family that would remotely come close is from my great-great grandfather, he was Col. Sampsom in the Boer Wars.
Woolls-Sampson?

He was a true part of that conflict, and very resourceful.

:icon_thumleft:

I believe so, I never heard his first name as he was always referred to as Col Sampsom. I have tried locating that name several times on google and got spotty information. The only thing have from him is the ring my grandfather gave me. A very heavy gold ring with 5 blue star Sapphires. I wish I could have asked my grandfather more about him, but I didn't learn this until after his passing. I know my grandfather ran away from home at 16 to join the circus and train horses, as his family was raising horses just outside London. After WWI my grandfather moved to India where my mother was born, later then made his way to the US after getting some type of letter of introduction from the British government. As far as my father's side of the family there may also be one well known person, as my surname is not even common in Greece. I have found other family members in Greece, but I am still trying to connect the dots to this media mogul who may now be located in Asia. Sometimes it's not easy shaking up the branches on the family tree

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie Hillbillies said:
I OkieHillBillie, have been in a few movies.

As an actor, or an extra :dontknow: I was supposed to be cast in what became Saturday Night Fever as a dance extra, along with one other movie by Rubin Blades. I was young and stupid and thought it would interfere with my bar hopping at the time. Besides that, I was told I would have to get a SAG card, which was $125 at the time, and a little steep for my liking. I had also landed a spot on a TV dance show that was like "Soul Alive", and "Dance Fever", didn't do that either because it interfered with my nightlife. Maybe I could have been somebody. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread