Family dies in Mariposa county due to possible mineshaft gasses

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/us/yosemite-family-death-trnd/index.html

Be careful out there guys. I've prospected in that area before and I swear I could smell something unpleasant in the water in the creeks there like gas. Authorities are still unsure what killed the family, no obvious signs of death/wounds and best theory so far is either mineshaft gasses from the old mines in the area or algae bloom in the creeks.

Upvote 4

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the exact same woodstove we had, a Riteway. Try boiling water on it. no matter how much you stoke it, it'll only steam. We made a batch of gooey spaghetti noodles on it once and only once. It had clay like bricks in the bottom of it, that cracked and turned to dust after only a year of so of use and dad worked at welding shop, so he replaced then with solid steel "bricks" of the same size. As a young teen, i was impressed with those steel "bricks" he made. (must have just cut off some big 2x3 bar stock or the like).
I can say with certainty that you likely have character. You can’t buy or teach that. Many times there is a fine line between being poor and “being country”. I’ve personally never called myself “country”. But I suppose it’s a decent way to describe the differences in life experiences and knowledge.

The reality is that people that live sheltered lives have a high probability of perishing in what many would consider routine winter/summer weather conditions. I’ve seen how helpless they can be. They just don’t have the life experience necessary to make correct judgements or preparations. Throw me into the cypress swamps and I’d need some guidance on how to deal with it. Heck throw me in New York City and I might have some difficulty.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They showed a map of where they went and where the bodies were found.
Part of their trail was by a river
Such preventable loss of lives
City folks in rural settings often do not get along. Tragic.

As to heating liquids....the boiling temperature of water goes down the higher the altitude. Try cooking dried beans at high altitude. It often takes all day.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say with certainty that you likely have character. You can’t buy or teach that. Many times there is a fine line between being poor and “being country”. I’ve personally never called myself “country”. But I suppose it’s a decent way to describe the differences in life experiences and knowledge.

The reality is that people that live sheltered lives have a high probability of perishing in what many would consider routine winter/summer weather conditions. I’ve seen how helpless they can be. They just don’t have the life experience necessary to make correct judgements or preparations. Throw me into the cypress swamps and I’d need some guidance on how to deal with it. Heck throw me in New York City and I might have some difficulty.
Cypress swamps I do with ease,of course I grew up in them.Desert I can handle with proper prep. But the Marines taught me that. Jungle too,boy did they teach me jungle. New York City? I shudder at the thought.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely believed that water is only safe if it comes from a plastic bottle. Probably yelled at their dog to stay out of the river.
If you,re dying from thirst and heat exhaustion,as long as the water isn,t some kind of poison,get the water so you,ll live to get treated for any bacteria or stuff like giardia.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you,re dying from thirst and heat exhaustion,as long as the water isn,t some kind of poison,get the water so you,ll live to get treated for any bacteria or stuff like giardia.
Exactly! My dad grew up drinking creek water. They would pour it in a jug and let and silt and junk settle to the bottom then drink it. After they upgraded from a canvas evaporative cooler to a propane fridge there was always cold water to drink, just pour it slowly and don’t let it slosh around or you would get scolded for ruining it for the next person. Now the Mexican drug cartel poisoned all of our streams under the watchful eyes of the USFS and Fish and Game. Now they are risky to drink from.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! My dad grew up drinking creek water. They would pour it in a jug and let and silt and junk settle to the bottom then drink it. After they upgraded from a canvas evaporative cooler to a propane fridge there was always cold water to drink, just pour it slowly and don’t let it slosh around or you would get scolded for ruining it for the next person. Now the Mexican drug cartel poisoned all of our streams under the watchful eyes of the USFS and Fish and Game. Now they are risky to drink from.
You said the effing cartels poisoned the streams? WTF? Man,that pees me off! I,m so mad I can,t think straight at that!OOOOOHHH S___!

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m still blown away that they (father, mother, baby, and dog) all perished and perished at nearly the same spot on the trail. It must have been particularly brutally hot. Rocks have a tendency to store up heat just like pavement and bake the area.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said the effing cartels poisoned the streams? WTF? Man,that pees me off! I,m so mad I can,t think straight at that!OOOOOHHH S___!
I can’t even start to explain what’s been going on on the west coast (emerald triangle) for the last 20 years. It’s mind boggling and in your face when someone cares to look. Otherwise it’s hidden and secret and only the cartel and the government knows what’s been going on. No conspiracies.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i
If its good cold mountain creek water that is flowing, its probably ok to drink. Ive had to do it a couple times. didnt get sick. No fun being 10 miles down hill from the truck and low on water.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I can’t even start to explain what’s been going on on the west coast (emerald triangle) for the last 20 years. It’s mind boggling and in your face when someone cares to look. Otherwise it’s hidden and secret and only the cartel and the government knows what’s been going on. No conspiracies.
True. Fish and game posts warnings on the trails they have found the poisons. Says do not eat the animals from here, do not eat the fish, do not drink the water. I firmly believe the gorilla pot growers are responsible for the ecological collapse in the north state. They poach and poison, and Ca doesnt use/have resources to do anything about it. Every deer season I come across several abandoned grow sites. luckily never an active grow. though one time i saw some black pipe while detecting and i cut it with my pick. water came flowing out, so i turned around and left. Wish it was legal to use those rats for long range targets

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. Fish and game posts warnings on the trails they have found the poisons. Says do not eat the animals from here, do not eat the fish, do not drink the water. I firmly believe the pot growers are responsible for the ecological collapse in the north state. They poach and poison, and Ca doesnt use/have resources to do anything about it. Every deer season I come across several abandoned grow sites. luckily never an active grow. though one time i saw some black pipe while detecting and i cut it with my pick. water came flowing out, so i turned around and left. Wish it was legal to use those rats for long range targets
The multi agency task force that busts these cartel grows leave them over the winter with running water through the cistern and pipes with sacks of fertilizer piocides, insecticides, herbicides, rat poison, etc. laying around to rot in the sun for over a year before they manage to come back to clean it up. people should be going to jail for the negligent activities that occur after they do the bust. Not only that they allow all these poisons to be hauled in and applied throughout the summer while they are well aware so they can bust it during harvest season..I could go on and on.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely believed that water is only safe if it comes from a plastic bottle. Probably yelled at their dog to stay out of the river.
The river was posted that it had toxic algae bloom. But I do agree that they could have done something to lower the heat in their bodies, not drinking the water but using a piece of clothing to dip in and cool their extremities and find shade. But dehydration can hit you hard, I was hospitalized for it and spent 3 days in the hospital for it and I stay hydrated but I work with powder cement and it dries you out before you realize it. I was almost passing out coming down the Grapevine on I-5 in my semi and when I got to Fresno I checked myself into the hospital. I probably should have stopped sooner but I thought it was a blood sugar issue or heart issues and I wanted to be close to home where I had family close by. My wife doesn't drive.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The multi agency task force that busts these cartel grows leave them over the winter with running water through the cistern and pipes with sacks of fertilizer piocides, insecticides, herbicides, rat poison, etc. laying around to rot in the sun for over a year before they manage to come back to clean it up. people should be going to jail for the negligent activities that occur after they do the bust. Not only that they allow all these poisons to be hauled in and applied throughout the summer while they are well aware so they can bust it during harvest season..I could go on and on.
This is just sick!I wasn,t aware of this at all and I thank you for posting it. Damn to everlasting hell everyone involved in this.The growers and the people who allow it. I wish there was something that could be done,but I imagine it,s another case of just too much money involved on both sides.Man,I,m mad as hell! And our tax dollars go to aid this!!! AAAHHHHH!!!!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just sick!I wasn,t aware of this at all and I thank you for posting it. Damn to everlasting hell everyone involved in this.The growers and the people who allow it. I wish there was something that could be done,but I imagine it,s another case of just too much money involved on both sides.Man,I,m mad as hell! And our tax dollars go to aid this!!! AAAHHHHH!!!!
There is so much of it going on they only find 1 % of them. Only 1 way to stop it is legalize on a national scale and make it worthless. If it was 100 dollars a pound they would do something else to make money.
I know people that grow as their main source of income, they complain about how the price it is now hardly makes the effort worthwhile...... Oh my big crocodile tears.
Even the legal growers are making a big impact on the environment because there are so many of them, the fertilizer runs into the rivers, and that is why the north coast has such bad algae blooms. Eel river is a prime example. That brings me to another industry I like to villify. Golf courses. California will allow millions of acres of orchards die by restricting water to farmers, but golf courses remain open. Criminal

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have moved to legalize meth, heroin, crack, etc in Oregon in an effort to combat the societal decline we are seeing. Federal government sending out crack pipes, local gov giving out needles at parks. Folks pushing for more head shops in small towns as a way to “revitalize” the city. I see the negative impact, just don’t get the rationale behind it. Hasn’t worked in San Francisco or Portland. Turned those cities into zombie wastelands.
All I can say is S___!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is so much of it going on they only find 1 % of them. Only 1 way to stop it is legalize on a national scale and make it worthless. If it was 100 dollars a pound they would do something else to make money.
I know people that grow as their main source of income, they complain about how the price it is now hardly makes the effort worthwhile...... Oh my big crocodile tears.

Just so folks are clear, 99.9% of these illegal grows in our National Forests are done by Mexican Nationals...not Americans. They are funded by the Mexican cartels.

IMHO the rat :censored: have no business growing commercial weed in
our forests, but law enforcement just doesn't have the resources to
catch them all.

I doubt the legal growers are going to use anything chemical or dangerous as a pesticide or plant food, because the public market
demands it be organic.

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread