What's new

✅ SOLVED Family pocket watch

JVA5th

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2014
Messages
4,972
Reaction score
28,134
Golden Thread
0
Location
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious about this pocket watch, it was passed through the family to my father. Looks to have been a fairly nice one. If anyone knows a little about it I'd appreciate the information.
 

Attachments

  • 20211226_110049.webp
    20211226_110049.webp
    919.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 20211226_110101.webp
    20211226_110101.webp
    997.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20211226_110136.webp
    20211226_110136.webp
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20211226_110145.webp
    20211226_110145.webp
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 117
  • mir_20211226_110219.webp
    mir_20211226_110219.webp
    235.9 KB · Views: 126
  • mir_20211226_110239.webp
    mir_20211226_110239.webp
    299.7 KB · Views: 127
  • mir_20211226_110303.webp
    mir_20211226_110303.webp
    232.2 KB · Views: 112
Solution
Nice watch. It’s the Illinois Watch Company’s ‘Bunn Special’ Model 9, made around 1925 in a run of 1,000 watches from a total of 169,440 produced. Railroad grade.
I lack the brain power for that. I'd never be able to remember all that. Just don't have a brain good at the mechanical type of things.
Minus taking things to a professional or getting a proper manual/instructions. The trick for taking things apart that you have not before is to take pictures step by step as you disassemble and tape each part on a old calendar(or grid on a table if bigger) in order you took it off. photos and notes for each step. My brain fails me in areas too, but there is always a work around!
 
Upvote 3
Minus taking things to a professional or getting a proper manual/instructions. The trick for taking things apart that you have not before is to take pictures step by step as you disassemble and tape each part on a old calendar(or grid on a table if bigger) in order you took it off. photos and notes for each step. My brain fails me in areas too, but there is always a work around!
That could work
 
Upvote 2
I was curious about this pocket watch, it was passed through the family to my father. Looks to have been a fairly nice one. If anyone knows a little about it I'd appreciate the information.
Wow, absolutely gorgeous! Love it.
 
Upvote 1
Beautiful watch John. hope you get it running.Many thanks to all the guys who gave info on these too,I truly enjoy that !
 
Upvote 1
Minus taking things to a professional or getting a proper manual/instructions. The trick for taking things apart that you have not before is to take pictures step by step as you disassemble and tape each part on a old calendar(or grid on a table if bigger) in order you took it off. photos and notes for each step. My brain fails me in areas too, but there is always a work around!
This is what I do when taking apart any thing if I want to reassemble it.
 
Upvote 2
I've had many pocket watches. When the oil dries out they stop, I've found that most just need cleaning. It usually doesn't cost much. That is a very collectable, expensive time piece you have, it deserves the best!!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom