Fancy cancelled?

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I'm currently looking on feebay at an old envelope with the post mark of an old fort in my area. Looks reliable and the dealer has a great reputation. It is all the dealer deals in, is with old envelopes,stamps,postmarks. Anyways it ain't cheap. Dealer claims it cost more because it has a fancy cancel. Which is just two big X's over the stamps. Is this true? Any insight on this that you can offer.

From what I've read about cancellations, most postmasters long ago had to come up with their own means of cancellation. Many just used permanent ink pens or markers. Some cut the stamps, while some even used hole punching.
The more "artistic" postmasters used a piece of cork and cut designs in it and then just inked it up and stamped their unique cancellation. Those are fairly rare, but if you can find one of those in a color other than black, you may have a valuable cancellation. Years ago when I worked at the post office, I occasionally hand cancelled stamps that had missed the cancellation machine with my own home made cork canceller. And of course, I used a colored ink pad.
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back