What's new

Farm tool? ALMOST SOLVED ?

lookdown

Greenie
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
So wouldn't you know it, I got my son a $50.00 metal detector for Christmas hoping to get him interested in prospecting for gold and meteorites etc. I sent him to find "something" in the wash on our property. Right away he gets a screaming signal. we dig and about 2 feet down we found this.
Its 22 1/2" wide 3" thick with two hooks and a 5/8" hole. No other holes or anything. I thought at first it may have been a wheel in a previous life but no indication of spokes or anything. The metal is 1/16" inch thick. This used to be a farm/ranch at one time and there are old bitter almond trees throughout the property. Any Ideas? Thanks for your time. Glen ;D
 

Attachments

  • hook web.webp
    hook web.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 421
  • what is web.webp
    what is web.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 433
Re: Farm tool?

Have no idea what it is but to get a screaming signal on anything 2 feet down with a $50 metal detector is good in my book. :read2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

A wild guess is a wagon wheel but I dont know about the hooks. :dontknow:
wagon wheel rim.webp

Second guess, NOT wagon, it looks like a rubber tire rim with the hole for a valve stem maybe. Cool find!

http://www.americanvintagerims.com/
 

Attachments

  • wagon wheel rim.webp
    wagon wheel rim.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 382
  • model T rim.webp
    model T rim.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 394
  • Rims.webp
    Rims.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

Thanks bigcypress
Looks just like some of the model T rims. Looks like part of the mystery solved allready.
Thanks Glen
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

Wagon wheel, if you look at the fifth or sixth picture on this page http://www.tinbarnstar.com/wheels you will see the two things that stick out of the inside of the iron rim. Not exactly sure why they were there, but they appear on many pictures of wooden wagon wheels, usually two, 180 degrees apart. I think it had something to do with holding the iron tire rim on if the wood dried out too much. ? But you definitely have a wagon wheel rim or tire.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

Welcome to the forum Glen. I'm voting an antique tire rim. Looks a lot like what came on our '28 Studebaker, and the size is right too. Now go back with your $50.00 metal detector and find the rest of the car! The first MD I had came from RadioShack, and it was $50., and within 10 mins. I found a 1943 Walking Liberty half in my backyard. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

littleneckhalfshell said:
Wagon wheel, if you look at the fifth or sixth picture on this page http://www.tinbarnstar.com/wheels you will see the two things that stick out of the inside of the iron rim. Not exactly sure why they were there, but they appear on many pictures of wooden wagon wheels, usually two, 180 degrees apart. I think it had something to do with holding the iron tire rim on if the wood dried out too much. ? But you definitely have a wagon wheel rim or tire.
I think this is the picture you are referring to that shows the two hook things. Good observation. :icon_thumright:

wagon wheel Amish.gif​

But the wagon wheel is flat, unlike lookdowns find. This is definitely for a rubber tire. Dont forget early car wheels were made of wood and it does have a hole for the valve stem. I vote early wood spoked automobile rubber tire rim.
 

Attachments

  • fordmodelt.webp
    fordmodelt.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

Below are some before/after pics of our '28 Stude named 'Hooch.' I think you'll recognize the rim. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • HoochRims..webp
    HoochRims..webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 314
  • HoochOriginal.webp
    HoochOriginal.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 308
  • HoochRestored.webp
    HoochRestored.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

Wow !

Hooch is beautiful !!!

How long did you spend restoring it ?

What a nice automobile !

Best
rmptr
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

Wagon Wheel, the hooks help hold the wood to the metal. I found a similar carriage wheel a week ago.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

rmptr said:
Wow !

Hooch is beautiful !!!

How long did you spend restoring it ?

What a nice automobile !

Best
rmptr

Thanks rmptr for the kudos. It took us about 8 months to restore.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

SkyPirate said:
Wagon Wheel, the hooks help hold the wood to the metal. I found a similar carriage wheel a week ago.
This is obviously a rim to hold a rubber tire. Look closer at the rim near the bottom of the pic. (I didnt notice at first either).
 
Upvote 0
Re: Farm tool?

WOW Thanks for the info. I have been doing alot of reading/research regarding treasure hunting etc. and I see ALOT of comments about all the good people you can meet. This is a good example.
So here's where were at. It is a rim for a rubber tire. The hooks are only 1 1/4 '' wide so Iam going to say the wood portion would have been to small for some of the newer "old" cars and would have been better suited for something lighter like a model T. Iam thinking we could put this to rest. Yes?
Yesterday my son brought a friend home from school so they could do more MD. No more metal but they did find 4 pottery shards in our yard. We did find 1 pc. a couple of years ago when we put a pool in. We live in northern Arizona and all of our truely old finds are made of stone or pottery here abouts. Very strict laws about native amercian finds so you can only pick up on private property.
I do have a very old German fire bucket lying around here somewhere, I will take some pics and post
in one of the other forums. It is way cool.
Thanks again for your help. Glen
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom