Father - Son Team Starting out in Colorado

Vicarious Lee

Jun 30, 2011
New father-son team in Colorado (South Denver Suburbs). So here is the deal. Many years ago I used to MD. For some reason my son (16 years old) picked up the MDing bug and I am ecstatic to see him move away from the Xbox and get outside. I want to keep him motivated and interested but being relatively new to Colorado and many years out of MDing I'm not sure where to start.

Here is where you can help. I don't want anyones secret spot but if I could get some specific guidance where I can take him to find some coins and maybe the occasional lost piece of jewelry, etc. while we develop our own secret spots I would sincerely appreciate it. I'm also looking for places where we won't have to deal with anyone hassling us. At this point I am just trying to keep his interest and excitement up.

I'm in the Douglas county area but don't mind driving anywhere within reason… even a couple/few of hours. Also if you are willing to help us out on a hunt that would also be great.

Thanks in advance for any information. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post up locations here.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm up in Jeffco. I think Douglas County is pretty much anti-detecting so be careful. Wheat Ridge is off limits too. Start by finding some soccer fields and schools. I'm not sure about any real secret hots spots. If you find one let me know! A few of us have ventured out to some ghost town areas but there aren't any real convenient as far as I know.

Welcome to Colorado. Where are you from?

OP
OP
V

Vicarious Lee

Jun 30, 2011
Jimbog,

Thanks for the reply. I moved here from the Kansas City area and was in Indiana before that. I keep getting conflicting information on Douglas county. Some say no where except private property. Others say open spaces and parks only are off limits. So far we have hit one of the local high schools and that's it. Found plenty of clad and 2 silver rings. Didn't get any grief from anyone and the field is right next to HWY 83. Even saw a Sherriff or two drive by and no one stopped. So we are avoiding parks and similar areas but I hope the schools are okay (soccer fields and practice fields). I'm looking at going to Elbert county to the east of me but have not found any rules there either. I was told Denver county and Denver parks are fine to MD in. That will be on our short list as well. Ghost towns or old mining camps would be a good time I think. Heck, make a camping trip out of it ifthe location was right. I just don't want to over step where we are allowed to go and where we are not. Trying to teach good habits and responsibility.

I think we will join the Eureka Treasure Hunters Club here in the Denver area to get some established information. Not really in to clubs but we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks again for the reply.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vicarious Lee said:
Jimbog,
Thanks for the reply. I moved here from the Kansas City area and was in Indiana before that. I keep getting conflicting information on Douglas county. Some say no where except private property. Others say open spaces and parks only are off limits. So far we have hit one of the local high schools and that's it. Found plenty of clad and 2 silver rings. Didn't get any grief from anyone and the field is right next to HWY 83. Even saw a Sherriff or two drive by and no one stopped. So we are avoiding parks and similar areas but I hope the schools are okay (soccer fields and practice fields). I'm looking at going to Elbert county to the east of me but have not found any rules there either. I was told Denver county and Denver parks are fine to MD in. That will be on our short list as well. Ghost towns or old mining camps would be a good time I think. Heck, make a camping trip out of it ifthe location was right. I just don't want to over step where we are allowed to go and where we are not. Trying to teach good habits and responsibility.

I think we will join the Eureka Treasure Hunters Club here in the Denver area to get some established information. Not really in to clubs but we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks again for the reply.

As an FYI to other newbies around Denver:
http://www.eurekathc.com/

I went to a couple of meetings last year and it seems like a real nice bunch of people. I didn't join since I'm not into organized seeded hunts. I would love it they had some trips organized to ghost towns and such.

You can look under Detecting Information - Local Rules and Regulations to get a good foundation for detecting metro Denver.

The recent rains sure have made things a lot easier. I found a cluster of a 1982 quarter and two Mexican coins about 4 inches down yesterday in a soccer field. Besides eay digging it seems like the rain really helps pick up some objects.

I hear the big thing in Denver parks is don't go digging away in the grass areas. Retrieving with the probe method is okay. Digging in dirt areas shouldn't be a problem. I wondered about Douglas schools. The schools in Wheat Ridge are Jefferson County schools and I don't think they would be a problem but would like to hear if anyone else has experience. II have a letter from Denver schools saying it's okay. All schools should be hunted outside of normals hours of course.

Give me a yell if you guys want to hook up some weekend. I'm still waiting to hear from one of the other members about an area south of Castle Rock where an old pony express station was located. That one would be fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread