I managed to get out at the end of the day so I went down the street to the school yard.
$1.41 in clad and my first Wolf Scout Neckerchief slide.
The St Kevin metal may be sterling. Not marked on the back. It has brush polish marks on the back. What other tests can I make?
Rather nice hand fulls of finds congrats on your clad - Wolf Scout and metal - thanks for sharing your pictures and story with us and I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.
Nice finds. You can try the magnet test. If it does not stick to a magnet, chances are it could be sterling. If it does stick chances are its just pot metals.
Nice finds. You can try the magnet test. If it does not stick to a magnet, chances are it could be sterling. If it does stick chances are its just pot metals.
It sure looks silver to me. You could spit on it, and wrap it in tinfoil, if it smells like sulpher (rotten eggs), then it is silver. When silver tarnishes, it's not oxidation, it's sulpherization... sulpher makes that tarnish stain. Spit and tinfoil will reverse the process, and you can smell the released sulpher!
Try rubbing it with a little tooth PASTE (not gel), on the back of it. If it is silver, it will show up and the polishing clothe will turn black.
Nice hunt,, congrats