Favorite find with little or no value.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their best/favorite find, and its likely valuable. Maybe gold, or a rare relic or coin. This post is not for those finds. I'm making this post to show some appreciation for the things we find that have zero value and maybe are common in your area. Maybe its common somewhere else, but not where you live making it unique, or maybe its an item that tells a story. I'll start with my favorite that I found recently. I've found a ton of bent nails, but this is the only one I have ever found that was intentionally bent to be used as a fishhook. I know this because most bent nails are bent at a sharp angle, this is deliberately curved. It was also found in a river. Post up your favorite value-less find!
IMG_5379.jpeg

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This No.50 Kiernan’s trace carrier.
I’ve found dozens of trace carriers but only one of this style. I guess I like it’s uniqueness. This a great idea for a thread; thanks Hbot.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    919.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This No.50 Kiernan’s trace carrier.
I’ve found dozens of trace carriers but only one of this style. I guess I like it’s uniqueness. This a great idea for a thread; thanks Hbot.
That's a good one! and thanks! I thought there'd be more response, I figured everyone has thier own little thing that they enjoy finding.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am a relic hunter and one unique relic I found most likely doesn't have much monetary value to it, but it is priceless to me. I found encased in a block of Georgia red clay, a piece of CW artillery shell frag. It took a little while to free this from the hard clay, and once I had it free, I started to remove more clay from the iron frags center. I noticed a white patina peering out from the iron which appeared to be lead. Strange, I thought. I put the frag in my bag and Continued hunting. When I got home I soaked the iron in hot water off an on for a few days to loosen the clay. I began cleaning this piece further and a distinct shape began to take form. Long story short, the shape is that of an Eagle with dropped wings. This had to have been done in the field by a soldier, as this was not manufactured in this way. This was interesting to me. I figured a soldier picked up this piece of iron shell frag
and melted lead from bullets and poured this into the cavity of this iron frag, and shaped this in the form of an eagle. I figured this was done by a Federal soldier, or a Yank in that the U.S. favored the eagle as an emblem. I some years later used an iron preservative on the iron to preserve the iron, and to better make the eagle stand out. I wouldn't take anything for this piece although it probably isn't worth much money, it's priceless to me in that this is probably the only one like this in existence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a relic hunter and one unique relic I found most likely doesn't have much monetary value to it, but it is priceless to me. I found encased in a block of Georgia red clay, a piece of CW artillery shell frag. It took a little while to free this from the hard clay, and once I had it free, I started to remove more clay from the iron frags center. I noticed a white patina peering out from the iron which appeared to be lead. Strange, I thought. I put the frag in my bag and Continued hunting. When I got home I soaked the iron in hot water off an on for a few days to loosen the clay. I began cleaning this piece further and a distinct shape began to take form. Long story short, the shape is that of an Eagle with dropped wings. This had to have been done in the field by a soldier, as this was not manufactured in this way. This was interesting to me. I figured a soldier picked up this piece of iron shell frag
and melted lead from bullets and poured this into the cavity of this iron frag, and shaped this in the form of an eagle. I figured this was done by a Federal soldier, or a Yank in that the U.S. favored the eagle as an emblem. I some years later used an iron preservative on the iron to preserve the iron, and to better make the eagle stand out. I wouldn't take anything for this piece although it probably isn't worth much money, it's priceless to me in that this is probably the only one like this in existence.
That sounds like a really interesting piece. Do you have a picture, or have you posted it on here before?

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite finds is a broken ax head found along with tram spikes, 1” cable, large bolts/nuts, and a rusted pocket knife not pictured, also some broken pieces of 1880s saucer from England. They came off my property from an unmarked logging tram line. I figured they date from 1880s until 1920s or so. Just pieces of big iron, but it tells me the story of my property.
450A0936-E245-4C73-B56A-3EFA56E94929.jpeg
E9C0DD04-7A68-4107-9329-50A38A0A10F8.jpeg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have posted a pic. of this before, but I'll post up another pic. later on. Thanks for your interest.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of my favorite finds is a broken ax head found along with tram spikes, 1” cable, large bolts/nuts, and a rusted pocket knife not pictured, also some broken pieces of 1880s saucer from England. They came off my property from an unmarked logging tram line. I figured they date from 1880s until 1920s or so. Just pieces of big iron, but it tells me the story of my property.
View attachment 2105864 View attachment 2105865
Like said before, every relic has a story to tell, and that this piece came from your own property makes it even more personal and interesting..

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hbot37, here are a few. pic.'s of the piece I was describing, (the iron shell frag with the eagle formed in lead). I had posted these a while back but it didn't seem to generate much interest. I guess some folks aren't into relics, but that's ok. to each his own.

Attachments

• IMG_20230919_101314.jpg
    IMG_20230919_101314.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230919_101331.jpg
    IMG_20230919_101331.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230919_101314.jpg
    IMG_20230919_101314.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 27

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a lot Hbot. Do you relic hunt in North Carolina?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Hbot. Are you a relic hunter yourself?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for the double posts. My kindle is acting up on me today.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Favorite find with little or no value" is actually a hard question to answer. Most all of my finds have little to no value, and I have so many that I like! I have a Barber dime that I'm fond of, a civil war infantry button, an old padlock, and a bunch of other stuff. But probably my current favorite is a little gold bird pin that I found after the rain washed out an 1800s cellar hole I am digging. It's missing the pin and whatever charms used to hang from it, but I still think it's really cool. Here it is cleaned up and put in a little box for safekeeping.

DSC_0548.jpeg

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2105864 View attachment 2105865
Thats a good one, I love finding axe heads. I'd really like to find a double sided one since I dont have any of them yet.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good one, I love finding axe heads. I'd really like to find a double sided one since I dont have any of them yet.
I like finding old tools, there is something personal about it.
I’m not sure how it broke like that though, maybe they wrapped the metal around and forge welded it or something instead of drifting it through.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hbot37, I'm inviting you to come here to Penna. I have found so many double bit axe heads that I leave them in the woods. You're welcome to take as many as you want back home with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread