What's new

Favorite Thumb Scrapers

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have found hundreds of these over the years. But these were not personal finds. They are from years of cherry picking from several hundred that i have acquired.
image.webpimage.webpimage.webp
Mic anyone else has some nice uniface scrapers feel free to show some.
 
Upvote 0
Nice display quito! Scrapers and other tools are some of my favorite artifacts.
Count me in on the show!
 
Anyone that likes color or the color green would really like this one.
image.webpimage.webp
 
spring 2014 scraper site finds.DSCN1465.webp
 
A few more colorful Colorado scrapers, found various timesDSCN1514.webpDSCN1515.webpDSCN1527.webpDSCN1539.webpDSCN1542.webpDSCN1546.webpDSCN1547.webpDSCN1551.webp
 
Here's some pictures of some of my personally found Scrapers. I have boxes and boxes of these and just display the best ones.
 

Attachments

  • New030.webp
    New030.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0097.webp
    DSC_0097.webp
    76.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_0100.webp
    DSC_0100.webp
    78 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0103.webp
    DSC_0103.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0002.webp
    DSC_0002.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0115.webp
    DSC_0115.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0113.webp
    DSC_0113.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0082.webp
    DSC_0082.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0081.webp
    DSC_0081.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_0018.webp
    DSC_0018.webp
    92.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0122.webp
    DSC_0122.webp
    62.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0120.webp
    DSC_0120.webp
    77.9 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0119.webp
    DSC_0119.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0118.webp
    DSC_0118.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0116.webp
    DSC_0116.webp
    55 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0127.webp
    DSC_0127.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0126.webp
    DSC_0126.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0124.webp
    DSC_0124.webp
    71.4 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0125.webp
    DSC_0125.webp
    71.6 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0123.webp
    DSC_0123.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0128.webp
    DSC_0128.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0129.webp
    DSC_0129.webp
    72.3 KB · Views: 168
Here are some from North Dakota. I love the materials they used on these. The bulk of them are Knife River Flint and there are a bunch of Agate ones too.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0060.webp
    DSC_0060.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0059.webp
    DSC_0059.webp
    37 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0058.webp
    DSC_0058.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0049.webp
    DSC_0049.webp
    88.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0048.webp
    DSC_0048.webp
    83.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0061.webp
    DSC_0061.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0063.webp
    DSC_0063.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0762.webp
    IMG_0762.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0763.webp
    IMG_0763.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0764.webp
    IMG_0764.webp
    72.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0779.webp
    IMG_0779.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0765.webp
    IMG_0765.webp
    75.3 KB · Views: 151
Amazing how many of them things were made and put to use. And with there being so many sizes, I wonder about how many they had .
 
It seems like they are always made of very high quality material too.
 
Man that's alot of thumb scrapers.Seeing how by just size they were probably the last tool that could be manufactured from these fine quality materials.I find a few and they are rarely made from local material...mjm
 
i don't think they were the last at all. Looks to me like they were just made from any shawl that would make a nice one.
 
I love this little one. I think sometimes they liked to add a little barb to aid in cutting:) Any idea if this stone was mined somewhere?
Those sure are some nice scrapers by the way!
 

Attachments

  • _20160111_093653.webp
    _20160111_093653.webp
    183.5 KB · Views: 143
I love this little one. I think sometimes they liked to add a little barb to aid in cutting:) Any idea if this stone was mined somewhere?
Those sure are some nice scrapers by the way!

The Idea of a scraper was more for hide work, fleshing the meat. the majority will be rounded with a steep bevel. Common is a uni-facial, but not exclusive where bi-facial was also used. The did have other uses in camp, but consensuses is primary use is for hide use. The barb referred to has been closley associated with the Folsom culture. called a spur. Now debate on weather this was done with intent or from repeated re-sharpening is still being discussed. There are multi functional tools (utilitarian) that hold more than one use. Here is one that is a a scraper a spokeshave and a awl. The fine example your showing is made from Trout creek chert. The quarries are west of you.DSCN1687.webp
 
It seems like they are always made of very high quality material too.

Grim, I agree. Another observation I have noticed and could be nothing more than me seeing what I want to see. is that a lot are made from lithic's close to the cortext where the material is dryer and tougher. better to hold up for the repeated use. I see a few that will have stacks on the bevel, because the material is dry. Most all are of very high quality lithic.
Side note: Thanks for the artifacts again, been studying them.
 
I love this little one. I think sometimes they liked to add a little barb to aid in cutting:) Any idea if this stone was mined somewhere?
Those sure are some nice scrapers by the way!

I have been amazed at how many times I find this little spur, or what's left of one, on cutting edges and thumb scrapers I find over here. It is a very common feature.
 
Here are a few I had handy. They are about 2 " long. The appendage is definitely a cutting aid.
image.webp
 
one that I am not sure is a scraper.DSCN1599 (1).webpDSCN1602 (1).webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom