Feel like I am moving up in MDing!

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20190323_095544.jpg 20190323_114829.jpg 20190323_100849.jpg
This week I found an app of TOPO maps and started looking locally for old homesites. I found a house and shop site that was within walking distance of my house. Walked past this spot every day for 7 years and never knew it was there. So I geared up and went down there today. Pretty much thinking I would find it and just poke around a little. Boy was I rewarded. Nothing fantastic but me being a newby to all this I was thrilled! I researched it located it and got some good stuff in my book! I will be back no doubt, thinking there must be a few coins there at least.

Upvote 26
OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be finding some water soon. Need a body guard around these parts though.

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The second half of the research is figuring out who OWNS the land your digging on.

That information is available for free at the county tax assessor's office.
Usually you will have to send a letter unless it's someone local and you know where they live.

I already have that figured out. county courthouse plat map/ tax records. Finding the person, another story.

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job your becoming a true treasure hunter. Also you can get a recent map of your area and one from 100 years ago and put it on top to see where old places are compared to 100 years ago you can also gps it to go to the exact location Well done

Thanks A2. By the way, I indulged and bought a ATMax. Waiting on it now!! I still have not gotten my Z-link headphones to work. I have to call Garrett and see about sending the whole mess in to them. I have gotten spoiled to the wireless. I am back wired again.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks A2. By the way, I indulged and bought a ATMax. Waiting on it now!! I still have not gotten my Z-link headphones to work. I have to call Garrett and see about sending the whole mess in to them. I have gotten spoiled to the wireless. I am back wired again.
I had a problem also just make sure you turn your machine on then the headphones after plus make sure they are charged and you turn the switch on on the phones. Garrett is amazing they usually will have new phones on the way the day you call and send a return box prepaid for the old ones!!!!!!That Max is a great machine.......

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a problem also just make sure you turn your machine on then the headphones after plus make sure they are charged and you turn the switch on on the phones. Garrett is amazing they usually will have new phones on the way the day you call and send a return box prepaid for the old ones!!!!!!That Max is a great machine.......

Yes I have done all that. What would happen was, I would get a signal and it was like there was a bad connection and then it either would cut completely out or the volume of the tone would be extremly low even with the volume turned all the way up. Like it would cut in and out. i will give them a call tomorrow if I remember and don't have to work over.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will have a new set in the mail headed our way right after you call they are that good. Just a thought but some wireless phones your cell phone can interfere with and you have to put it in airplane mode . I never had that problem with my max. Good luck youll be killing it this year with that max. Tommy

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have that figured out. county courthouse plat map/ tax records. Finding the person, another story.

Someone is paying the taxes. Their mailing address is public info at the assessor's office.
Otherwise digging up an old homestead on private property without permission is considered...well you know.

Finding places that are old is easy..it's getting permission from the owner that's difficult.
Lots and lots of places I'd like to detect. Helps to have connections.
I've always wondered if a realtor would be a good connection to have.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos on using research, an often overlooked aspect of this hobby.
Every time you go out and hunt, regardless of finding anything, your learning curve gets better.
The feel and learning the layout of the area.
Learning the sounds and getting more comfortable with your detector.
I would also recommend watching detecting videos on youtube, just last night I watched a video on using GPS with old maps.

Keep it up!
Carl

TrippinBilly

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos on using research, an often overlooked aspect of this hobby.
Every time you go out and hunt, regardless of finding anything, your learning curve gets better.
The feel and learning the layout of the area.
Learning the sounds and getting more comfortable with your detector.
I would also recommend watching detecting videos on youtube, just last night I watched a video on using GPS with old maps.

Keep it up!
Carl
This...video..(and software + app)...is...awesome! Thank you

OP
OP
S

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found out from the owner today two exciting things. That there is an old well on the site and that there used to be a log cabin there! I am so excited to go back! it will be tough now with it being just about summer and all the snakes that will be moving around and ticks, spiders etc!! Can't wait to go back!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread