OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Clues leading to the treasure's location were included in a 24-line poem published in Fenn's 2010 autobiography "The Thrill of the Chase."

Clue #7 as to why the treasure never was to begin with. He was selling a book. What better way to promote a book then including the "clues" to a million dollar treasure.

The Secret was a book with legit treasures. Secret of the Alchemist Dar (I think that was the name) is another book with legit treasures. Just because there’s a book, doesn’t mean it’s bogus. The other points you made are fair.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
yea there are Fenn threads in the cache forum too

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep it is on the news.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because there’s a book, doesn’t mean it’s bogus. The other points you made are fair.

True. But to solve a unknown, the first thing we look to is motive. A book does give one a financial motive. There is circumstantial evidence and it has never supported there being a treasure buried and now the circumstantial evidence surrounding the miraculous "find" only makes it more suspect, not less.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. But to solve a unknown, the first thing we look to is motive. A book does give one a financial motive. There is circumstantial evidence and it has never supported there being a treasure buried and now the circumstantial evidence surrounding the miraculous "find" only makes it more suspect, not less.

So at this point, is there anything he could do that would prove it was real to you? If he posts a picture or says where it was hidden, you can say it was all doctored and made up since a few days have passed since it was allegedly found. So what would it take to convince you it was real all along?

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was indeed a treasure, you would think that Fenn would at least show a picture of what he had buried and its former location. This was a treasure legend that drew the attention and time of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of searchers. One cannot simply say that a treasure was “found” without revealing the substance behind the long hyped up mystery.

If Fenn cannot produce details about the content of his purported treaure, then it will sadly be quite likely that it was all a hoax. If he does show some hard photos and a solution to his puzzle, then he will seem a lot more credible. For now though, everything is up in the air.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally I never click on Fenn treasure threads, but I am surprised that the link posted is one letter off from my last name. And as everyone knows I write lost treasure stories.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a couple of more facts that ad to the (lack of) credibility of the claim it's been found (or was ever buried to begin with):

Con. The whole thing could well have been documented and photographed and all details released while keeping the *finder anonymous . A chance to sell more books!

Why would anyone leave a $25K "chest" out in the elements...if you were truly into antiques this is just fantasy.

Chub

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So at this point, is there anything he could do that would prove it was real to you? If he posts a picture or says where it was hidden, you can say it was all doctored and made up since a few days have passed since it was allegedly found. So what would it take to convince you it was real all along?

That the *shy guy come fwd with pics and details

chub

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
"Clues leading to the treasure's location were included in a 24-line poem published in Fenn's 2010 autobiography "The Thrill of the Chase."

Clue #7 as to why the treasure never was to begin with. He was selling a book. What better way to promote a book then including the "clues" to a million dollar treasure.

Its been done before, over in England for one called the Silver Hare. The finder was the book's author. Look thru your old treasure magazines you just might have the story.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This guy Erskine seems brilliant to me. You know there is no treasure to begin with so what do you do? Sue Fenn with the idea that part of finding the treasure is “knowing” that it’s virtual and telling this to Fenn gets you the actual treasure. This puts Fenn in a box (pun intended) as he either has to say yes and give you the treasure - in which case he’s clearly defrauded others by never having hidden one, including causing deaths, and could be civilly liable to many people (deaths, thousands of people for cost of travel, loss of work, etc). If Fenn says no it’s not a virtual treasure he has to start answering all kinds of uncomfortable legal questions under oath and run up legal fees. Fenn’s only option is to say it’s amazingly and miraculously - at this moment in time - been found by someone who can’t be located. He was checkmated and this is his bailout effort (which he either came up with on the fly or had planned all along). By using geography “back east” in his description he’s trying to say it’s not Erskine (Erskine is in Phoenix), so it’s a highly calculated explaination.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He should have ended it after the first person died looking for it. Pretty callous of him to keep the hunt going and letting at least five people die searching for it...

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any info on where it was found? All over the news but nothing on location.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one to say if there is any credibility to this tale at all, but..

If I found a million dollar treasure, I'd be pretty shy too.

Heck, I'm shy about the stacks of silver I don't have. Cough.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many people have died looking for the Lost Dutchman

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
News outlets picking up the story now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna183573

But sure guys, I’m being duped ��

Yep it is on the news.

Any info on where it was found? All over the news but nothing on location.

Really guys? I thought everyone knew Fenn was the one who contacted news agencies with the story.
How else do you think it got on the fake news?

Hello, News desk? This is Forrest Fenn, Have I got a story for you! My treasure has been Found!

"It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago, I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot."
Fenn wrote in his announcement

"I can confirm it’s been found, It was found by a man from back East, but he’s shy. He doesn’t want his name released."

"I congratulate the thousands of people who participated in the search and hope they will continue to be drawn by the promise of other discoveries," Fenn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread