Few artifacts

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only got out couple times last few weeks, but managed to get some nice pieces. All dug **on private land with permission**.

1497996448170.jpg
1497996458767.jpg

Piece of worked bone and a piece of what looks to be fire hardened bone
1497996492578.jpg 1497996479428.jpg

Straightest knapped edge ive seen on a point yet
1497996860465.jpg

Blank and not sure about piece on the right. Found deeper than others and found some really large flakes of same material next to it, could just be scrap. Material is different than what I usually find too, not sure what it is.
1497996551847.jpg 1497996561608.jpg 1497997478499.jpg

A chunky cutting tool.
1497996680289.jpg 1497996690180.jpg 1497996701088.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st set of points are nice. Looks like you have been busy.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and yeah that edge is super straight....

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great hunt!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice points. I like to see dark colored points. Around here it's almost always white quartz.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice points. I like to see dark colored points. Around here it's almost always white quartz.

funny thing is, when I started finding artifacts I really wanted to find a whole quartz point and have yet to find one. I still keep neat looking quartz stone when out though :happysmiley:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're finding some nice ones! How deep are you going?

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're finding some nice ones! How deep are you going?

I have only dug down about 1.5 ft. There seems to be a consistent layer of fire stone and artifacts at the 6-8 inch mark, then directly down about another foot another layer of fire stone and artifacts with some random stuff in between. Everywhere that I have dug so far. I'm not even covering a ton of ground, It is pretty incredible finding multiple settlements in the same 3'x3' holes I'm working in.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only dug down about 1.5 ft. There seems to be a consistent layer of fire stone and artifacts at the 6-8 inch mark, then directly down about another foot another layer of fire stone and artifacts with some random stuff in between. Everywhere that I have dug so far. I'm not even covering a ton of ground, It is pretty incredible finding multiple settlements in the same 3'x3' holes I'm working in.

When I 1st started hunting I figured up the soil layers verses the years. I came up with a number lets see it it fits for your area. 1 inch of top soil per 100 years and of course it could be different with the elements and each area. But your points look to be Woodland so you tell me if its close.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing most everything in the 5-8 inch range is woodland. There is a couple inches of really thick mossy plant roots I have to rip up like a carpet and right under that I'm finding flakes and whatnot. then you get down several more inches and you find that first layer of fire stone and artifacts. This soil is real sandy, when you get down about 2ft its almost straight sand. Still pretty new to digging and don't have much knowledge as far as geology goes, but I'm researching what I can. I can say though that my main field is nearby and have not only found woodland, but lamokas and a sweet adena spearpoint so I really can't say for sure what is what at what depths as far as time goes.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a spot that has not been disturbed by farming activity? Are you using 1/4" or 1/2" screen? Is the ground a little higher than the surrounding area? Have fun, go slow, make notes.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a spot that has not been disturbed by farming activity? Are you using 1/4" or 1/2" screen? Is the ground a little higher than the surrounding area? Have fun, go slow, make notes.

I dug up some pottery not long ago which was on the edge of one of the fields I walk which appears to be ancient river bank, but there is a possibility that was hit with activity. Where I am digging these other artifacts they have not been disturbed. using 1/4" screen and it is about 50 yards from the river, but at the end of a small hill with a good 7' bank. I'm almost certain it hasn't been disturbed by anyone. I'm shaving a couple inches at a time with my shovel and sifting until I start finding stone and flint, then I start slowly scraping with my short handled metal spoon. Still sift the dirt I'm scraping because some of these things get by me some how.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of mind boggling that you might be the first person seeing a little of the evidence they left with their activities, huh? Good luck to you!

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of mind boggling that you might be the first person seeing a little of the evidence they left with their activities, huh? Good luck to you!

It certainly is. Always had a fascination with native culture, but never realized I could go out and find,see and hold these things until recently :occasion14:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds .... Looks like your really perfecting digging I'm sure it's pretty exciting to find artifacts that have been untouched for thousands of years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread