FICTION MOUNTAIN MAN BOOKS

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
If you enjoy mountain man books , I would like to suggest the First Mountain Man series by William W. Johnstone . This series features ( PREACHER ) not Smoke Jensen . Some of the Smoke Jensen series are pretty good reads also . Most local librarys have or can get these books . Also you can find them on e-bay .
Author - William W. Johnstone
A few titles to look for .

The first mountain man-Preacher , The first mountain man , The first mountain man-Absaroka Ambush , The first mountain man- Cheyenne Challenge , The Last mountain man , this one is about Smoke Jensen as a kid , meeting preacher & learning to become a mountain man .

Oklahunter

Jan 29, 2008
Choctaw, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Bullseye II
Right on, Hillbilly.
I've been ripping through Johnstone's books for months now and they are great, easy reads of old western life.
The hard men in "The Big Lonesome" who rode straight in the saddle, worked hard, stood up for what was right, and only killed men who needed killin'. ;)

If you want to take a glimpse into the past - and it's not all glamorous - do what WV Hillbilly has suggested and read about ol' Preacher or Smoke Jensen. You'll like it.

OH

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Funny to see this post. I just finished "Journey of the Mountain Man" Not really my type of read, but I enjoyed it and just started "Revenge of the Mountain Man". Someone had left these two books at my office a while back, glad they did!

kenb

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
If you like the first mountain man series you should also check out the Wilderness series by David Thompson.

retiree

Mar 18, 2009
Grand Prairie,Texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I like Johnstone. I'm reading Preachers Quest right now.

I like the Death Lands and Outlanders series by James Axler also.

Wilber Smith and James Rollins are good too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread