figuring out a starting price

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you decide what to price your gold jewelry? I over paid for this brooch / pendant -- $88. I thought at the time I could list it for $350. Now I am thinking I may be lucky to make my money back. It's 2.78 grams, and I believe it is probably at least 25 years old, given the style. (I could be so totally wrong though.)

2014-11-09 17.56.59.jpg 2014-10-12 16.52.59.jpg

My gold is not moving. I am not sure if I have it priced too high, or if I am just not showing up in the search engines. It is very frustrating!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I know there are people here that have done well selling jewelry over spot on ebay. I don't have any idea how they do it and/or what their sell rate is. I do know that in the last 90 days there were 1,044,579 completed auctions in Fine Jewelry with 14k in the title. In the same time period there were 138,611 items sold. Doesn't seem like a high sell through rate to me.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any selling either right now. Seems like everything else is moving well. I'm assuming all the stones are real on that pendant right and the diamonds are real as well? I would think your pin would be definitely worth more than $88. I would at least try to double what you paid for. it I might just take a little while to sell. I have not sold one piece of gold this month.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
*sigh* I am thinking to only go with my designer pieces and leave the gold for now. Nothing is moving for me. I appreciate your help. I had thought when I got this that the holiday season would be the time to sell. You're right about checking completed vs sold. I do that a lot too. I didn't think to just type in 14K.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*sigh* I am thinking to only go with my designer pieces and leave the gold for now. Nothing is moving for me. I appreciate your help. I had thought when I got this that the holiday season would be the time to sell. You're right about checking completed vs sold. I do that a lot too. I didn't think to just type in 14K.

Y not just listed on eBay at what you would like to get for it with best offer and just let it sit there. If it doesn't sell then market down and maybe you never know somebody will put an offer on it. I wouldn't put it in the jewelry box and leave it there for ever and stick it up online hope somebody makes an offer on it.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I feel your pain. I've had a lot of nice gold jewelry that weren't signed designer pieces. My research shows those type items sit for quite a while & rarely sell for more than my refiner pays once fees are accounted for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread