Filthy lucre...

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
... and four silver rings. One's a nose ring (I think).

All in all, a fun afternoon!
luker1.jpg

Cheers!

Ridley

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridley said:
... and four silver rings. One's a nose ring (I think).

All in all, a fun afternoon!

Cheers!

Ridley
Nice finds. Since it's a nose ring and the caps are still on it......hmmmm, swing chain accident?

Laater...

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Trash Digger said:
Nice pile of loot, Ridley. Were you back at the old house site again, or somewhere else?

Mike

Thanks,
On weekends I like to detect ball fields at schools. All those finds were the result of a slow swing in four straight lines across the length (of a field).

I save the farm and old house/parks ect... for weekdays. I don't mind public attention when I detect, but it's always more fun to have privacy.

The UPS man should be bringing me some Jolly Roger headphones any day now. I can't wait to try them on the farm. ;)

Ridley

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
SWEET LOOT! I know what you mean about privacy on better sites. I tend to give total concentration to what I am doing & not enough to where I am.
Spotz

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridley,
You are my NC hero. :) Great job. Nice pile of coins.
-MM-

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
You guys are inspiring to detect every chance I can get! ;)

That large silver ring in the photo is driving me nuts! It has the 925 mark. Then it also has a 104 mark.

These jewelry markings mean something! But what?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows... ???

Ridley

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Youngladd said:
Great finds, how many hours did you spend?
Funny you should ask that question.
It took me 4 1/2 hours to go across 4 times. From reading posts on this forum, I decided to experiment with my swing.

I went to a place I know well and swung the coil at normal speed walking from point x to point y. Then I did the same from y to x except I swung in slow motion.

The results surprised me! I found twice the stuff I had the first time. The only variation was the speed of my swing.

It takes a lot of restraint to do that in a huge field, but I strongly suggest anyone who's interested to give it a try. ;)

Ridley

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
I have found if I slow down in walking forward overlaping I had many more finds, because the field is conical and you could sweep the surface 100% with the coil and still miss a coin if the coin is deeper. BUT I also found the faster I swing the coil over the object the deeper I can detect. about 1 -2 inches more. (your results may vary) but it worth testing out.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Ridley said:
Youngladd said:
Great finds, how many hours did you spend?
Funny you should ask that question.
It took me 4 1/2 hours to go across 4 times. From reading posts on this forum, I decided to experiment with my swing.

I went to a place I know well and swung the coil at normal speed walking from point x to point y. Then I did the same from y to x except I swung in slow motion.

The results surprised me! I found twice the stuff I had the first time. The only variation was the speed of my swing.

It takes a lot of restraint to do that in a huge field, but I strongly suggest anyone who's interested to give it a try. ;)

Ridley

Interesting. Do you have a Minelab? I know with the DFX - slowing the swing speed will not yeild better results. With the Explorer II it does...but again it is somewhat site dependant.

Bob

OP
OP
Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
No, but I have a friend who uses three different Minelabs. Now that I think of it he swings the coil very fast. Infact, he swings the coils like a pendulum. I've never seen anyone else do that but him.
And yes, he finds really deep targets. I really appreciate the input on this subject. I'm still using a my Whites Classic II (held together with duct tape). The thing does detect deep, but maybe that's only during a faster swing.

Now I need to try an experiment with super fast, normal and slow, over the same area. Maybe that's the key to finding the most stuff with only one machine. During a faster swing though a lot of the targets sound like "clicks", then I re-check them.

Maybe that's why so much gets missed. In any case. This really slow swing involves holding the handle of the detector with the same grip you would use to hold a pair of scissors when cutting paper. That helps maintain the slow speed. ;)

Thanks for your comments guys!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread