What's new

finally a complete tool....maybe?

blueracer

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2013
Messages
84
Reaction score
49
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im having trouble showing flaking detail, but the edges are 'microflaked'..I think i'm using the correct term? it is beveled around the edges on one side, with small serrations and the back is flat. what is this?
thanks guys
stuff 085.webpstuff 070.webpstuff 074.webpstuff 084.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a piece of one
 
i figured. piece of what kind of tool?
 
Cool material.
 
it is pretty chert, the red specks, looks like a piece of icebreaker cinnamon gum. Only other example Ive found of that rock was the broken knife, I was hoping they were a match, but not quite. maybe off the same chunk of source rock, but not the other half of the knife I was looking for.
 
This is my best one for detail I have found. Its a very common type of tool they used. Knife or scraper take your pick.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3034.webp
    100_3034.webp
    112.6 KB · Views: 136
i wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I just said I figured because i had hoped it was complete, but I haven't been able to find any complete tools yet.
 
Looks like a thumb held hollow gouge tool like a spokeshave
 
It has just curved open working end and is flat on one side ?
 
If that little dude is broken, it is an ancient break. The thin tip of a graver may have been broken off in ancient times. I'm going by the consistent patina. I honestly think you have a complete tool. Nice!!
 
rock, I would have tossed that back, not knowing. I do see the fine chipping on the tip. I will have to look for that, I think I remember seeing a few things similar to that
 
IMO it is a unifacial scraper/spokeshave type and appears to be possibly broke.....possibly
could be an expedient type made from a flake
the 'microflaked' term you have used is actually called pressure flaked
larson1951
 
Last edited:
This sight, and all of
You guys are great. Thank you to everyone on here who have been so polite, and so willing to give helpful input to all of my postings.
 
It's a great find and there's gonna be more and better to come keep the head down haha
 
This sight, and all of
You guys are great. Thank you to everyone on here who have been so polite, and so willing to give helpful input to all of my postings.

Google NA flake tools or Dalton tools and hit images and you will see quite a few so that way you will know what to look for. Here is another example of one. I found a whole tool kit last yr in one small area and all of them were just flake tools. Here is another only worked on one edge.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3040.webp
    100_3040.webp
    108.3 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom