Finally back at it, tied my personal silver high!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

It has been a while! My wife and I spent a couple weeks in Europe for a wedding and some vacation and I’ve been busy as a beaver since getting home on Monday.

I did get a few hours of detecting in while in Norway but it was not too productive unfortunately. I was in a tiny town of maybe like 40 people and just didn’t get lucky at the permissions I got.

I did find a few modern Norwegian coins (and found a couple Mexican pesos while hiking) which was fun.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569104498.446918.jpg

Today my brother and I returned to a permission we worked in the spring. We left it alone for the summer and waited until now to go back so the rain could refresh the grass.

It started slow but I ended up having some pretty good luck. First, I got on a war nickel which was nice. A while later I was getting a pretty mixed signal, kind of zinc penny-ish but I was digging everything. First thing I pulled out of the hole was a nickel. On closer inspection, I knew it was another war nickel. I knew the tone was too high for just a nickel so I put the pinpointer back in the hole and found a Rosie. Score!

I thought that was it but I rescanned and got another hit a couple inches away. Opened another plug and boom, another war nickel! Closed the plug, swung again, another signal! Re-opened the plug to get another Rosie. Swung over and got one last signal; the third Rosie from the hole. The spill had 5 silver coins, wow! That’s a new personal best for me.

2 minutes later and 10 feet away my next hole was a 5 wheat spill. Crazy!! All my coins today are pretty ugly because they were found under a cedar tree. Those trees are so tough on coins.

By the end of the day I had tied my personal best for silvers in a day with 6. Total haul included 3 Rosies (46, 50-S, 52), 3 War Nickels (42-S, 43-S, 45-S), a 54 Jefferson and 7 Wheats from the 40s/50s. Fun day!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569104858.720195.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569104903.503070.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569104872.420622.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1569104882.669490.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!!
-W

Upvote 29

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done.

Good to see you and Jr. getting out and scoring.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to be back, you came back strong too!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty awesome hunt to start off again with

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never realized certain trees would effect the patina on coins. I'll watch for that as I'm hitting the woods this fall. Gary

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in Norway sounds like a good time. I keep thinking of spending a week where those Glaciers are melting. I really hope to someday, my wife is 100 percent Norwegian. Glad you found time to get out. Hopefully one of the nickels will be a gold coin someday! How are the laws for detecting in Norway?

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice diggin' with good results on all the Silver. Wtg

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty awesome haul- nice job!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going those permissions pay off, thats good to see you guys killin it this years been a bust for me

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dood! I was wondering when youd show up again. Norway sounds amazing - havnt you heard the rumor about Norwegian folks? It doesn’t seem likely they would be dropping their goodies!! (Every Norwegian on my street agrees w this non-pc statement)

If we got 5 silver coins every time we dug a signal we would literally be rich!! Congrats.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I never realized certain trees would effect the patina on coins. I'll watch for that as I'm hitting the woods this fall. Gary

Cedars trees especially. They must have super acidic leaves (if you can call them that). Silver always come up tarnished and coppers are roached if they were near a cedar tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread