Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kind of like the fake money folded up and left for someone to find.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a highly sought after Plastodon tooth...hope ya kept it...:laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smallfoot, alas, and forsooth, whatever, it is gone! I don't keep pulltabs either!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the place was full of overnight guests, I saw very fresh footprints in the sand. The place is known for big teeth. I was just the first one to spot it. Had me going for a few minutes.

I guess it was two summers ago I was at another beach, dug what I thought was one of those Chucky Cheese golden tokens, as I never take my glasses with me when I'm out, and asked my digging buddy was this a Chucky Cheese token? as it had an eagle on the back. He freaked - $5 US gold coin lost apparently out of someone's necklace. It's hiding in the house here somewhere.

And then last year I find a brass disc at a CW site, have my buddy come over and it's a flattened Confederate I button.

Sometimes I don't get an ID till I get the glasses out! Or get home to retrieve the magnifier!

And a few years ago I got a HUGE silver dollar shaped item, a Netherlands daadler coin, 1620 something, I still have it - trouble is, it's made of junk metal and was a Shell oil promotion in the 1970's. Someone left it on the beach for us low life detectorists to find.

When I found my gold guinea at the beach, a year or more before that, and having heard the reputation of the place, that folks throw fakes out there, I looked all over it for the word "copy", and it was and is genuine! Only me.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the place was full of overnight guests, I saw very fresh footprints in the sand. The place is known for big teeth. I was just the first one to spot it. Had me going for a few minutes.

I guess it was two summers ago I was at another beach, dug what I thought was one of those Chucky Cheese golden tokens, as I never take my glasses with me when I'm out, and asked my digging buddy was this a Chucky Cheese token? as it had an eagle on the back. He freaked - $5 US gold coin lost apparently out of someone's necklace. It's hiding in the house here somewhere.

And then last year I find a brass disc at a CW site, have my buddy come over and it's a flattened Confederate I button.

Sometimes I don't get an ID till I get the glasses out! Or get home to retrieve the magnifier!

And a few years ago I got a HUGE silver dollar shaped item, a Netherlands daadler coin, 1620 something, I still have it - trouble is, it's made of junk metal and was a Shell oil promotion in the 1970's. Someone left it on the beach for us low life detectorists to find.

When I found my gold guinea at the beach, a year or more before that, and having heard the reputation of the place, that folks throw fakes out there, I looked all over it for the word "copy", and it was and is genuine! Only me.

It was not too uncommon for some beach go-ers to toss some coins in your path if they saw you coming. I guess they think it is funny but it is easy pickings for me.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more fake Megalodon teeth - from the Soapozoic Era:

IMG_1360.jpg IMG_1361.jpg

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I dug a Play Money coin from the early 1900s that was a VERY close copy of a $1 gold coin! My heart was racing for about 70 seconds!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was put there in an attempt to get a child interested in the hobby?

at around age five my dad showed me a Treasure map , this map led to a spot in our back yard .

we both took turns digging for the pirates treasure and struck it rich at around 6''
dug lots of my grannies costume jewelry and a few coins but to me it was treasure .

55 years later I'm still hooked on treasure and will be for life.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think everyone needs to chip in and get smoky some dollar store (2x) glasses.

I do love the moments of thinking its real..

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, those are the ones I have. When I take them out in the field I tend to lose them.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
This year I’ve found chicken feed money (looked like a trime) 2 giant fake cobbs and a fake 8 reales. The thing that gets me all the time is the reverse of those frikin’ state clad quarters. I also dug a 2001 dollar coin that must have been in the ground a long time because without my glasses it looked just like a largie.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As the new generation of Nfl folks say, " You got Punked."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread