Finally Gonna Hunt for CW Relics

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am so stoked, :headbang: leaving Thursday 4/19 and headed to VA. Relic_nut is hosting Carolina Tom, myself and Damnails. Driving Thursday, hunting all day Friday and Saturday and coming home Sunday. Can't wait to meet both relic_nut and Damnails and to see Tom again I just know it's going to be a great time. Even though I'm a coin shooter I look forward to digging some cool CW related relics.

GL & HH

Loco

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoked for you man hope you all have a great time and unearth some history!!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stoked for you man hope you all have a great time and unearth some history!!

Thanks PS :icon_thumleft:

When are you going to post some finds pics? I'm curious to what treasures are being found at the 50th state.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you head back home with a plate......and I am not talkin about a full belly but I bet there will be some feasting going on after huntin times over.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, I look forward to seeing all of the cool relics you guys unearth, bet it's gonna be an absolute blast!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco, can't wait to see what you find and wish you the best of luck! I'd say you're in some great company there and their karma will help you in your first CW relic hunt!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and be sure to take plenty of bug repellent !!!! OH and don't forget SNAKE CHAPS!!!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From an old CW digger, make sure you think out of the box. Check every tree base, briar patch, fallen log, rock, snake, turtle, swampy place, everywhere. A lot of the old timers (diggers) would put those horrid things they didn't want to bring home at the base of trees. And they didn't check what was at the base of the trees before they put their trash like - camp axes, ration cans, brass shoulder scales, you know all that junk at the bases. I have found two plates at the base of trees. Have fun! Watch for ticks and snakes.

And WHATEVER YOU DO, do not neglect the driveway area and do NOT run 20' into the woods/field to start detecting.

The belt plates hide at the sides of the road and within 10' of the side of the roads or driveways. I ought to know.
This is an "out of the box finds" from very recently. Found within 15 feet of a paved driveway. It was hiding over a huge natural gas pipeline. We had hunted the place for a year and a half before we found it.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you got. There is still some killer stuff in the ground, you just have to get the loop over it.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure hope your doing good and having a good time. How about a day by day update ?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loco, here's wishing for yourself, Relicnut, and Carolina Tom all the best of luck in your relic hunt in Ole' Virginni'. I hope you come back home with some cool CW History. Have a great time and be safe and we'll be waiting on some pic's of some Dug History. History,- "We Dig It".:icon_thumright:

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't get much better than relic hunting with friends. Most important thing is to enjoy yourselves,, I've never been able to do that with golf. I started metal detecting 3 years ago in Virginia and I have NOT been disappointed.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a great "off the grid hunt CW hunt I've ever been on. Our hosts Relic nut and Damnnails are two great guys and awesome hunters. Tom and I held our own in the VA mountains. I'm glad we are all early risers, all up between 4:30 and 5:30am. Friday we hunted a pasture full of sheep and a Llama. Within minutes both Tom and I pulled some bullets. I think as a group we dug 12 that 1st hour. We hit this site most of the day (all my cw relics were dug there) and then headed over to Damnnails family cemetery,out on a mountain top, just up from the old farm which is now just grassy mounds where walls once stood. I started at the blacksmith shop with my sniper coil and pulled out 2 complete and 2 half horse shoes and a clad rosie. On Friday we went to two other home sites. Very trashy sites due to the metal roofs rusting and flaking all over the area. Both house structures no longer exist. Many of the pieces were small with round edges, so I dug plenty of trash ringing in as coins. When it was time to move on from site no. 1, I had no keepers in my pouch. At the second site I pulled the reign guide. Tom got hungry so we went to the local general store before we headed to another field looking for more CW relics and maybe an era coin or two. It was a great detecting vacation. All three, Carolina Tom, relic nut and Damnnails were a blast to hunt with and spend time at the hunting camp talking history and detecting.

Below is the pic of my finds. I dug 2 bucket listers, a CW bullet and a button. Relic nut was gracious enough to give me the confederate bullet he dug at the last site. I'm sure other posts from the attendees will have more pics.

20180422_223145.jpg

Here's a pic of our accommodations

20180422_071319.jpg

Site one from the 2nd day.

20180421_095240.jpg

As always I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

GL & HH

Loco

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good, very good. I'm seeing the 2 ring Gardner, some minies, a general service button, horse rein guide and the round balls could easily be Confederate, but it's really hard to tell. The two on the top right look like Williams cleaner bullets. You guys did great.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Loco, what a great hunt with some great people! Glad you did well and it's always rewarding when others share their hunting locations!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats on the relics.:thumbsup:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loco, you Done Good! Nice find on the CW relics. I see you got a Confetrit' Gardner bullet. These are cool to find. Well done on all your finds, the button, bullets, and reign guide. Great saves and sounds like a great time spent with some good friends. You can't get any better than that.

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great hunt. Kudos to Relic_Nut for sharing the site. You guys did good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread