Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys I'm sure you already know that I've been in a slump if you heard me bellyaching lately. Well it wasn't raining in New Orleans until 4 PM so I took the hour drive. It's been raining every day this whole summer at one time or another. So I went back to a spot where I found 4 V nickels in the last 3 years my earliest be in 1898. The spot is around 4 very old oak trees I'd say 400 to 500 years old which are approximately 20' x 20' apart making a square. This area has been pounded by everybody, me included in the last three years. When I got there of course my wireless Deteknix wasn't working for some reason. ( I've had three pair break on me not a fan at all!) so I had to go open sound. I found 2 wheats, 1 Canadian dollar, which is first, a 1912 V nickels which I cannot believe because I hit that area so much I didn't think that was another v nickel there, a old Jesus which appears to be made of lead or something. It was pretty deep. I wish I knew how old it was. I finally had a eventful hunt. IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 23

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet finds

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am loving that RED V Nickel! The patina is awesome! A dollar coin is always welcome. A lead Jesus is pretty cool for a relic. We REALLY never get it all. That's why as long as I live where I do I will occasionally stroll across the street when I know the ground is sufficiently moist and hammer the old 1846 church for over the 100th and something time. I guarantee that as many people that have hunted that place since metal detectors were invented and myself probably more than all previously there before me, there is still MORE there to be had. Keep swinging mate. You'll get yours.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am loving that RED V Nickel! The patina is awesome! A dollar coin is always welcome. A lead Jesus is pretty cool for a relic. We REALLY never get it all. That's why as long as I live where I do I will occasionally stroll across the street when I know the ground is sufficiently moist and hammer the old 1846 church for over the 100th and something time. I guarantee that as many people that have hunted that place since metal detectors were invented and myself probably more than all previously there before me, there is still MORE there to be had. Keep swinging mate. You'll get yours.:icon_thumleft:

Thank Kurios1 this Louisiana mud turns all the old nickels red red red. I'm so sick of the red I've been known to shine them up with a Brillo pad LOL. I might keep this one red for you. Thanks brotha.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank Kurios1 this Louisiana mud turns all the old nickels red red red. I'm so sick of the red I've been known to shine them up with a Brillo pad LOL. I might keep this one red for you. It's rang up as a 27-28 on the F75 and the cross rang up at a 42. The only reason I dug it was because I watched a video where a large gold ring hit at a 45 so I went for it. Needless to say I also dig tons of trash. Thanks brotha.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank Kurios1 this Louisiana mud turns all the old nickels red red red. I'm so sick of the red I've been known to shine them up with a Brillo pad LOL. I might keep this one red for you. Thanks brotha.

I guess it's just I never seen one like ya'll's red soiled variety.:icon_scratch: You can take a grinding wheel to it if it makes you "happy".:laughing7::o:nono:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does your nickel have a mint mark?

Do you know Sue I've never checked that on any off my V nickels. Unfortunately it's a D but thanks for the education. None of my other ones had mint marks. 1898, 1901, 1909

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it's just I never seen one like ya'll's red soiled variety.:icon_scratch: You can take a grinding wheel to it if it makes you "happy".:laughing7::o:nono:

I like how you said "ya'll's" lol. I don't think I have ever said "you guys" before....ever! :laughing

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds truth! I first thought you had a gold coin there...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see that you found Jesus!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your hand is covered in cherry jello stains. :laughing9:

Congratulations on the finds.

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done! I am heading to Northern Canada in the a.m. for a fly-in fishing trip and may need to borrower that Dollar coin...as $1.75 per liter of gasoline sounds cheap until one does the math :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting