What's new

Finally got all my Mods for my new Excal.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
292
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Finally got all my modifications on my New Excalibur ll done, at least the ones they are going to work with me on.

When I first got my Excalibur ll with the 10" loop I noticed it was a little heavy and out of balance and I had to bend over slightly to get the loop close enough to the ground which put some strain on this old back. Thanks to you great peoples suggestions I ordered a 42" two piece Travel Rods by Plugger straight rod set up, and I'm very happy with it as it has lots of adjustment holes to get the right length and for sure is easier on the back as it distributes the weight better with the control housing and battery pack behind the arm rest.

The feed back problem from my hearing aids is still just that a problem, seems my hearing aids give off some sort of signal that bounces back to the mic off the hard plastic backer plate on the water proof head phones and my hearing aid creates a annoying loud buzz which makes it tough to hear the threshold. Thought I had found someone to change out the head phones but they backed out when they found out they were not totally water proof. They were the Deep Woods Rain Proof by Grey Ghost (no feed back from them just like my Grey Ghost NDT'S for my E-Trac). Lets face it with a hearing aid in each ear I'm not about to be doing any diving. As my son puts it IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Now it's time to find some beach's to work it on. Thanks everyone for your help. Rick :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
Rick, have you checked with your hearing aid provider to see what they can do for you?

I like the longer length for the rod but not the controls near the elbow as the weight is still no the arm. You have to slide your arm into the cuff each time on or off. I prefer to hang my controls from my neck as it is much easier.
 
Going to contact the hearing aid company today as I am also having problems with the mics not holding up with the head phones. I've had two now quit on me after just a couples times using the head phones.

As far as the rods and the weight of the controls being close to the elbow I have found that not to be a problem but a advantage as it creates a counterbalance meaning it helps balance out the weight of the loop when swinging it. That I like as you don't seem to be fighting the loop in motion. I also have experienced no problem with getting the arm into the strap on the elbow as the controls are side mounted and are out of the way. I also purchased and installed a knob guard to protect the knobs from being banged around. So far it seems to be a pretty good set up. A little long to transport, but it breaks down and sets back up easily and quickly.

I considered the hanging the controls from my neck as well, but in years past I have tried that practice with other metal detectors but a chronic back problem made that a pain in the back literally.

My son has a old (pre 1985) Teknetics 8500 A hip mount (about six lbs with 14 AA batteries) that I consider one of the best discriminating detectors out there as it will let you know if you have a silver coin or a clad coin, and it hung around your neck and I had to give it up as it just created to much back pain for me. Ah the good old Golden years. Thats another subject.

Rick :coffee2:
 
I have the 3 piece set up from plugger and find that more balanced than the 2 piece.3rd piece is only about 10" long and puts the controls behind your shoulder. His rods do have a lot of holes, which is good for adjusting, but sand will get inside the stems and if not undone and cleaned regularly they'll freeze up and you'll have a hell of a time getting them undone. I put waterproof tape over them all. Plugger also sells an excellent hip mount that wasn't expensive.
Hope you get the hearing sorted and best of luck to you. :)
 
Dano Sverige said:
I have the 3 piece set up from plugger and find that more balanced than the 2 piece.3rd piece is only about 10" long and puts the controls behind your shoulder. His rods do have a lot of holes, which is good for adjusting, but sand will get inside the stems and if not undone and cleaned regularly they'll freeze up and you'll have a hell of a time getting them undone. I put waterproof tape over them all. Plugger also sells an excellent hip mount that wasn't expensive.
Hope you get the hearing sorted and best of luck to you. :)

Your three piece seems to be identical to my two piece in setup and use except yours breaks done into smaller pieces.

Will keep the rods rinsed. I have a old Tesoro Sting Ray ll that I didn't do that with and I like to never got it apart to send in for repairs after 15 years.

I probably shouldn't do this here, but this old fella would like to give you younger folks some very good advice.

I spent 17 years working in a very noisy factory operating some very loud machinery. Unfortunately I needed my ears to do my job. Today I wear a hearing aid in my left ear that I can hear almost nothing with out. I have a Bionic Implant in my right ear as with out it I am completely deaf, and I still can not hear with it like you do.

I am making this plea because with all this hearing equipment I still can not understand half of what is said on a TV or radio. I can not listen to music, I have a great deal of trouble understanding people on the phone.. I have lost a great deal of my ability to hear different tones, so I must dig almost every signal I get from a metal detector.

I hope this plea doesn't fall on deaf ears and you will protect your hearing as you have no idea how much you will miss it once you loss it. It is more valuable then anything I say here can truly express.

Rick. :coffee2:
 
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
I hope this plea doesn't fall on deaf ears and you will protect your hearing as you have no idea how much you will miss it once you loss it.

It is more valuable then anything I say here can truly express.

Rick. :coffee2:

No truer words have ever been spoken. {Same goes for taken care of your back, you only got one and no spares!}

Hope they get the feedback problem sorted out for you.



~~Happy Hunting~~​
 
Hi Rick, i'm also hard of hearing and wear hearing aids in both ears, what i do is leave them in the car, and crank the volume all the way full and i do real good that way, i don't know how bad your hearing is but mine is real bad and i can hear the tones, give it a try, hope it helps. Harold in fla.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom