What's new

Finally Some Nice Points

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A slow year. A friend offered to serve as my guide to some RI sites that included Late Paleo/Early Archaic material last weekend. Jumped at the opportunity. He found a nice crystal quartz triangle and a killer paper thin Brewerton Eared Triangle. It was found on edge, so not a true in-situ....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    245.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    71.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    262.8 KB · Views: 108
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    132.4 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
Well, I was thinking "oh no, am I going to get skunked again?" Two minutes and not three feet from where he found the Brewerton, I spotted my point of the year. These things are relative. This is a fine point by my standards. I was told it was made of a lithic from Maine called Big Mountain. Never heard of it, but it's a killer Late Archaic Otter Creek...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    212.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    226.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    260.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    165.4 KB · Views: 102
We hunted a Late Paleo/Early Archaic quartzite workshop, and found a couple of lance mid sections. Later, and about 15 minutes after finding the Otter Creek, I found a base which Dr. Gramly told me was an "auriculate fragment, possibly a Dalton". Might be just a base, but Dalton's are as rare as it gets in our parts. The remaining photos are Early lances found at this location by my friend when he was a child. The big one is restored of course....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    245.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    139.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    159.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    145.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    95.3 KB · Views: 102
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 94
Those are all nice. Thanks for the show!
 
Lovely finds right there! That little bird head is a beauty...
 
Nice finds, looks like the N.A.'s had some rough material to work with there.
 
Nice finds, looks like the N.A.'s had some rough material to work with there.

Yeah, that was the case. But I think most collectors learn to like their local and regional lithics and actually favor them. Too much quartz and argillite, though, can make for some crude points. Quartzite dominated at these sites. I like quartzite; they could work it well. All our flints are exotic and sourced from a distance, usually the Hudson Valley. I do wish more flint turned up....
 
The wait was worth it! Very nice!
 
Wow, great finds and a cool site, hope you guys get a chance to get out there again and often!
 
Great looking finds. That Eared Brewerton is sweet. I really like those types.

I believe this is one as well and from eastern Pa. What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0025.webp
    DSC_0025.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0013.webp
    DSC_0013.webp
    90.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0045.webp
    DSC_0045.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 95
Awesome, bet you could read the newspaper through that quartz crystal triangle. The eared Brewerton looks exceptional for that material as well. Sounds like you had a great time,good for you!
 
Nice points guys.
 
Great looking finds. That Eared Brewerton is sweet. I really like those types.

I believe this is one as well and from eastern Pa. What do you think?

Looks like either a Brewerton Eared Triangle, or a Brewerton Eared Notched. The ears are less pronounced in the eared-triangle form, sometimes the tiny side notching is all but absent. You know, I might go with Brewerton Eared Notched on that one. It can be a tough call, but the amount of notching visible on yours leans me that way. I often have trouble separating the two types. Here are some Brewerton Eared Triangles and Eared Notched foe comparison with your Brewerton....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    126.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    168.7 KB · Views: 87
Great looking finds. That Eared Brewerton is sweet. I really like those types.

I believe this is one as well and from eastern Pa. What do you think?

Grim, you can compare to these examples as well. First showing Eared Triangles, then Eared Notched. Because your notchng is slightly more "pronounced", that's why I leaned Eared Notched, but, as said, often a tough call for me.....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    167.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    328.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Awesome, bet you could read the newspaper through that quartz crystal triangle. The eared Brewerton looks exceptional for that material as well. Sounds like you had a great time,good for you!

Thanks, Mark. The quartz was as thin as I've seen. I've got the tip upward in the photo in hand, and it might be a so-called crescent drill, with the one short arm being the business end....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    99.8 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom