Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Her house was only a block from mine. Grew up here and Mrs. G was a very nice elderly woman who knew<br>everyone in our small town. The house was built in the '20's.....all wood, 2 story, sitting up off the ground<br>the way they used to build them back then. My aunt even rented the upstairs apartment back in the late '60's<br>to early '70's. Reflecting back now, I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't hunt the place years ago.<br>I had a good White's 6dB back in '79 and i'm sure she would have given me permission. I never did though,<br>and in the fullness of time she passed on. I assume the house went to her heirs but not really sure. It was <br>recently vacated with a "for sale" sign in place. Sunday 6-9-19 I was off work and decided to walk over and<br>get in a little hunting before the looming rain chased me out. The place needed mowing but wasn't bad and <br>I started my search using the town sidewalk as a reference point. I felt there just had to be a few goodies<br>there and would most likely be a virgin site. Headphones on, discrim. at "nails/foil" and I was off. The yard is<br>small sitting on only one city lot so I worked slow. Several memorial Lincolns surfaced...not much, but at least<br>they were copper and not Zincolns. Trash.....a small length of threaded conduit, a heavy brass fitting. a spent<br>.308 cartridge, several aluminum pencil tops, a fired .30 carbine round complete with rifling marks, and a<br>broken eyeglass leg. Then a nice wheatie...1928 which always gets a smile. As i carefully hunted around a<br>relatively young magnolia tree (still bushy at ground level) I got 2 hits about 5 inches apart. Pinpointed the first<br>one, dropped down on my knee pad. then applied the Pro-Pointer. Out popped a 2-inch piece of unidentifiable<br>aluminum trash. It wasn't deep, sounded real good so i took it out. The Pro-Pointer didn't indicate anything<br>else so I filled-in, covered-up, and moved over 5-inches for the second signal. I could tell it wasn't deep either<br>so pulled the pin-pointer again and went in. Turned over one small spade-full and there she was....a pretty<br>winged-liberty dime (mercury, if you like) shining in the damp, sandy soil. She was only about 3-inches deep<br>and didn't have a scratch or blemish on her. She was struck in 1939 in Philadelphia and had seen her share of<br>circulation. The rain was starting to sprinkle and I knew more was on the way but this beauty which had broken a<br>long silver dry spell for me beckoned my thoughts. Who had she belonged to and when was she lost? The answers<br>I knew I would never have. She laid there for decades, alone and forgotten until I happened along and kissed her<br>with the electromagnetic field of my Vaquero. Now she is mine, washed clean and in the company of others like<br>her, to be forever admired and never lost again.<br>There was only time to hunt less than half the old yard....perhaps she has sisters there....still waiting. I can't help but<br>believe that Mrs. G would be pleased that I found her...that doing so gave me such pleasure that afternoon.<br>Yes....I will return.<br><br>

Upvote 12

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, Pyro! My 1st. good machine was a 6dB...........Great machine! Found me a ton of great stuff!!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
P

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Washingtonian...I have a photo of Ms. 1939, I only lack the
knowledge of how to post it.
Maybe someone here can teach me how.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very descriptive story, but you forgot to mention how you got permission?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save on the 39, congratulations. In the search block type in "post photo", once the photo is on your computer it's a snap.

OP
OP
P

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Inspector......I will look into that!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post how did you get permission

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread